Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie, so please cut me some slack ...

I just bought a 2006 2500HD Duramax 4x4. I ended up with a 4x4 because it's what they had in stock and I didn't want to wait 8 weeks for an order. I will be towing a 24' trailer with a race car that will be 7-8,000 lbs. I've never owned a truck before and have always towed with an SUV. I decided to quit fooling around and get real so I could tow an enclosed trailer instead of an open one.

The truck is a bit higher than I would prefer. Given that I don't plan to go off-roading where ground clearance is an issue, how much hassle would it be to lower the truck 2"? Would it cost more than $1000 to do so?

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Place. I think you will find this site to have tons of information and knowledgeable people that will help you along the way. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions. Use the search feature as many have asked the questions that you need answers to. It will be your friend. Thanks for joining up, we are happy to have you and most of all, Enjoy..

·
Registered
194 Posts

I just bought a 2006 2500HD Duramax 4x4. I ended up with a 4x4 because it's what they had in stock and I didn't want to wait 8 weeks for an order. I will be towing a 24' trailer with a race car that will be 7-8,000 lbs. I've never owned a truck before and have always towed with an SUV. I decided to quit fooling around and get real so I could tow an enclosed trailer instead of an open one.

The truck is a bit higher than I would prefer. Given that I don't plan to go off-roading where ground clearance is an issue, how much hassle would it be to lower the truck 2"? Would it cost more than $1000 to do so?
The 4x4 and 2 whee drive 2500HD trucks are the same hight from the dealer. but lowering a 4x4 is going to be a little harder and more expensive. Contact www.outlawoffroad.com
they will be able to sell you the parts to lower it to your desired ride hight.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
nerf

JUS GET YOU SOME NERF CHROME OR STAINLESS STL. STEP UP BARS. THEY LOOK GREAT AND U WONT BE MESSEN UR TRUK UP / JUS MY OP.:grd: :rolleyes: :ro)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tom, Please consider the warranty issues that could be potentially raised if you decide to lower the truck........
:badidea: ....Could be a problem with some dealers,

Sir-Col

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I guess every forum has the folk that "remind" you to use the search. I did a search first. Lots of lowering for duallies and 2wd but I didn't see any 4wd threads.

I assume the hassle with a 4wd is the drive train to the front wheels?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used the McGaugheys torsion key and a drop shackle for a 2" drop in front and 3" in the rear. Since I pull a 12,000 lb 5th wheel camper, the rear bump stop was cut down. Overall it was a nice look and still hauled the camper, it just was not me. I was running 305/50R 20 Toyo Proxes ST's at the time. I pulled the drop out and went back to the leveling key and the 275 65R20 Goodyears that came on the new Harley Davidson Superdutys... For me that was the best mix. A good solid 10 ply tire and no more grandpa look for the truck.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I stock Chevy to tall... ha!ha!ha! If you lowered it much more, the transmission support would scrap the ground. ):h

1 - 12 of 12 Posts