Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with the new low sulfur diesel (15PPM) expected to hit the market in mid summer? Have any of you been using it? is there an increased need for additive?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I just read in transport topics that the engine manufacturers want drivers to monitor the effects low sulphur diesel has on the engines. They are mainly concerned about the injectors. They said that they are decreasing the amount of sulphur by 97% and it may have adverse effects on injector parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As far as I know, Low sulphur = Reduced lubricity
I will continue using additive for sure.

Cheers

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I do know that the refineries will be putting in lubricity additives. There is a whole new generation of them being made now for use in ULSD and some are already approved by the EPA. I will, however continue to put additional additive in mine. Power Service or something else that is the next best thing...

·
Registered
800 Posts
I also read that the way they are refining it takes out even more lubricity so it is probably a good idea to use a fuel additive.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I also read that the way they are refining it takes out even more lubricity so it is probably a good idea to use a fuel additive.
I heard it is not the sulpher that changes the lubricity, it is the PROCESS in which they remove the sulpher that decreases the lubricity.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
my gas cap says "low sulphur diesel only"????

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
don't count on lube mixed in, FAA made oiul pipeline's remove last year from Jet-A contamenation in pipeline. natural lube attaches to sulpher and sulpher removal takes it wth it.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I use Stanadyne "Lubricity Formula". It only takes 4 oz for 30 gallons of fuel, so a bottle lasts for 4 tanks in my truck. I have a 34 gallon tank (long bed).

I order a case of 12 bottles for $55.20 ($4.60 for a 16oz bottle) from Diesel Injection Service in Amarillo, TX. Here's the link, but you'll have to delete the space in the link for it to work. The mods here have blocked any references to the name for some reason.

Here's where I get it online: http://www.diesel page.com/additive.htm

·
Registered
693 Posts
don't count on lube mixed in, FAA made oiul pipeline's remove last year from Jet-A contamenation in pipeline. natural lube attaches to sulpher and sulpher removal takes it wth it.
This issue is being dealt with by installing injection equipment after the fuel goes through the pipelines. By next summer - this shouldn't be an issue anywhere in the u.s. and may not be now. I think this issue had to be handled by jan '06 (adding lubricity additive further down the supply chain to avoid jet A contamination with lubricity additives).

jeff

·
Registered
693 Posts
I use Stanadyne "Lubricity Formula". It only takes 4 oz for 30 gallons of fuel, so a bottle lasts for 4 tanks in my truck. I have a 34 gallon tank (long bed).

I order a case of 12 bottles for $55.20 ($4.60 for a 16oz bottle) from Diesel Injection Service in Amarillo, TX. Here's the link, but you'll have to delete the space in the link for it to work. The mods here have blocked any references to the name for some reason.

Here's where I get it online: http://www.diesel page.com/additive.htm
This is the way go. Particularly next summer - I saw a technical stating that the newer fuels are de-stabilized if you add too much cetane improver. The point of the paper was that the refineries would have to get to higher cetane levels using additional refinement versus additization.

The effect on you personally of destabilized fuel will be plugged fuel filters at a lower than expected mileage - asphaltines form more quickly if fuel is less stable. Our fuel is heated and cooled repeatedly and put under extreme pressure. Stability needs to be considered as well. Stability of biodiesel is an issue - my local biodiesel distributor said they see more issues with filter plugging on duramax's and the the dodge sprinters (Mercedes Benz Diesel). Both use high pressure common rail fuel system.

Right now I am using performance formula in the winter and lubricity formula in the summer. After this new fuel shows up - it's only lubricity formula (or 5% bio) for me. But, I don't have cold temps where I need to worry about cold flow of the fuel.

jeff

·
Registered
412 Posts
B20!!!:ro)

·
Registered
137 Posts
B50!!!:ro)

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
If I had a good source for virgin soy bio, I'd be with you guys. Unfortunately, I am going to give you my "why I don't use bio anymore story".

I was running b50 to b80 until my filter plugged after 4000 miles. Then I looked around a little and found the main issue with bio is the fact that it has low stability - when it breaks down, glycerides are formed along with other stuff that is actually corrosive. White soapy stuff that clogs filters and just "hangs out" at the bottom of the tank.

I think I'll stick with B5 for now. Right now, the government is throwing money at biodiesel - $1 per gallon subsidy. Unfortunately, there is alot of bad bio out there. Without a tight standard and enforcement of that standard, it's like the wild west out there.

jeff

·
Registered
412 Posts
California already has some pretty tight quality standards on commercial biodiesel. Most other states will likely follow......:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was running b50 - b100 for a while. I was seeing a decrease in mileage...small but slowly descreasing. One day (Friday) on the way to work at slight throttle the truck seemed to stumble. The CES light came on and I ran at reduced power for a little while. I changed the fuel filter the next day and it happened again on the way to work Monday. I went to the dealer and the code indicated low/no fuel to the injector pump. In working on it they noticed it was drawing 20in of vacuum to try and get fuel from the tank.... $500 later with another fuel filter and a wasted tank of fuel (b50) it was due to little white objects floating around in the fuel tank clogging up the intake. I still have a sample of it. In the end it was about $600 due to the practically full tank that got dumped, my filter I replced myself, and the new tank of #2 I had to buy. That was my Christmas budget/present to myself. Thus I am holding on on the bio-diesel for awhile. I miss the quieter running of the engine and no smoke on WOT. Oh well. :( It could have been worse !!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like you were getting some pretty lousy fuel that was precipitating soap out. Luckily here in Santa Barbara I have a good quality commercial source for virgin soy B20 and B99.9. Improperly prepared and/or washed biodiesel can be pretty nasty stuff for a precision injection system like the one on the Duramax! :cool:

·
Registered
693 Posts
California already has some pretty tight quality standards on commercial biodiesel. Most other states will likely follow......:cool:
The biodiesel spec lacks specification of stability. Without a tighter spec - meeting the spec is meaningless to me... Need a tighter spec AND government sampling and enforcement.

jeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts