Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I don't know if this is tranny, motor, or suspension related. But between the speeds of about 5 and 10mpg I get a shuttering/shacking in the front end of my truck. It is enough to feel/see in the steering wheel and pedals. It is a little more noticeable on deceleration but is also very noticeable on acceleration. I fear that it is my tranny, which I know needs to be rebuillt to handle my tune, but I am just puttiung off the inevitable. I also recently installed some HD cognito tie rods and notice that they make contact with my sway bar under full lock to lock turns. Anyone experience anything like this?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Today, I put the transmission in neutral while rolling at about 20 mph and let it coast to a stop and I still felt the shutter.

Also I turned the truck off while still in drive at about 20mph and let it coast to a stop and I still felt it, so I'm guessing it is something suspension related, or could it still be the tranny?

Could a bad alignment be to blame? I just had it realigned ofter the HD tie rods a couple months ago, but this shutter just showed up within a couple weeks, or at least has become noticeable within the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the same shutter in my front end. I had an alignment done and the tires balanced. The tech who did the balance said that my tires were worn a little funny because the alignment was way out of spec. After the alignment, the shutter went away just a little bit, but I can still tell its there. I'm going to rotate my tires to see if that gets rid of the shutter. I'll know sometime next week.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
How about the steering stabilizer?

Torque Convertor OK?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Front wheel bearings?
Is the steering loose/worn? Check the pitman and idler arms, etc.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Seems to be suspension because when I turn the wheel while in the 5-15mph range, the shutter goes away. So I'm thinking idler or pitman arms, or steering linkage or stabilizer. I have a video of the steering shaft movement. Although you can't really see, you can hear the play in the shaft where the shutter might be coming from. Anyone think this is normal play in the steering shaft?

s61.photobucket.com/albums/h77/LT1_POWR/?action=view&current=Picture055.flv/URL]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.