Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the last oil change(couple weeks ago) the truck has had very low power, horrible mileage, and surges while accelerating. Wide open or just taking it easy, you can feel it surging. It's like it tries to go but can't get out of its own way. And when I say horrible mileage, I mean 10-12 mpg. And that's empty!! Took it to the dealership, they say they fixed it, but no go. We've had trouble with the tranny before, but I believe this is all motor. BTW, mileage is 31,437.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When was the last time you changed your fuel filter, it should be done every 15-20k and a plugged one can cause the problems you are describing.

When you took it to the dealer what did they do??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
said they looked it over and they couldn't find anything wrong. the fuel filter was changed at roughly 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You might want to try a different dealer. I have been fixing these since they came out and with those symptoms it should be pretty clear.
does it smoke? if it is nice blue smoke you have injector problems. Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mahotas, no smoke at all. I was kind of skiddish about taking it to the dealer we bought it from, because alot of the techs are guys I went to high school with, and I graduated in 2002. We are going to try a different dealer tomorrow. Hopefully, this one will fix the problem.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Change fuel filter would also be my first suggestion.

Do you have the fast idle hooked up? Could be switched on but not activated.

I'd also check the MAF sensor on the air box as well as filter condition...

·
Registered
218 Posts
You could change your fuel filter the day before the problems and still have it be the filter. One bad load will kill your performance. I went thru it too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I changed the fuel filter yesterday. The surging stopped, but it still didn't the power I'm used to. Popped the hood again, looked around, and noticed the sensor on the intake tube wasn't hooked up. Hooked it up and noticed the intake tube at the airbox was loose enough that I just pulled it of while trying adjust it. Tightened the clamp up, but now I'm kinda worried. What kind of dirt would have gotten in the engine? Hope nothing serious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts