Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new 07 3500 Duramax Dually and I'm only getting 9 mpg. My 99 Ford 7.3 powerstroke dually got 17. What's up with that?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Give it some time to losen up a little.My 07 2500 got low fuel milage and now its getting 13 to 18 mpg .If im pulling my trailer i get 9 mpg.Ive got 10.000 miles on mine so she is getting seated and lose .

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you are getting the MPG from the DIC reset it once you are up to highway speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
truckbabe;1579866; said:
Brand new 07 3500 Duramax Dually and I'm only getting 9 mpg. My 99 Ford 7.3 powerstroke dually got 17. What's up with that?
My '02 4x43500 dually never got above 16 and that was only 1 or 2 times. Mostly it averaged 15.5mpg. I never towed really heavy but when i did tow I did not notice much drop in mileage. I towed an 7.5'x20' flatbed twin axle with 3 motorcycles and gear from MD to SD and I averaged 13-14MPG on that trip running flat out 80-90MPH. (Edge Juice on level 1)

9MPG does seem like there may be a problem. How are you calculating the MPG? By hand or using the DIC:D ? (huh huh huh ...he said DIC..huh huh huh)....anyway...if you are using the DIC :D have you tried resetting all the values to zero? How does the power seem? It should feel much more powerful than the 7.3. If it doesn't then you probably have an issue.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i get 11.9 with my dually

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
truckbabe;1579866; said:
Did you change the tire size? Are you running #1 or #2 fuel right now? Do you have the high idle set, that consumes a lot of fuel. It was -20 here last weekend and with all the idleing with a few short hops we did, I went through 15 gallons of fuel. Don't trust the DIC, always hand calculate the mileage. It's winter in most areas and diesels for the most part don't like the cold. If you have the winter grille cover put it on. That will decrease the amount of time it takes to get the engine up to optimum temp. Also, the transmission is just starting to learn how you drive. Put some miles on that baby and it will get better. I noticed that after I started doing some serious towing the mileage empty got better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about my new 07 dually. Just took a 400 mile trip averaging 65MPH and I hit 17.5 mpg. I was getting around 13 and I now have almost 5000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Another MPG thread?? Use the search feature its great!! Sorry for the rant!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am getting between 16-19 on my 2007 srw truck. Got 21 on interstate once so far. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
when you fuel up next time

reset your mileage with your stearin wheel buttons. You may be amazed! Otherwise all idling is counting against your mileage.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
REset dic, hand calculate nad stay out of the throttle.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
The moral of this story should be ''don't listen to your dic''.It once told me I was getting 99 MPG.Hand calculate ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Cold weather effects mine a lot...just a thought

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should know better than to trust the "DIC". Those things are never trustworthy. Thanks for the input, I'll reset the DIC and put my bra on!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Do not forget Powerstroke low 200 hp...New LBZ 360hp and all the emission crap we have does not help either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep the idle time to warm up in this cold weather has me about the same mpg on the DIC. Now worries though cause after all you do have one bad azz set-up with the DURAMAX!!

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
truckbabe;1581186; said:
I should know better than to trust the "DIC". Those things are never trustworthy. Thanks for the input, I'll reset the DIC and put my bra on!
You mind if I watch?:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
mine gets about 10 mpg hand calculated, she weighs about 9500 lbs empty. my high idle is on but is not used much down here in SC. i would love to get 15,but one can only hope.i would like to thank the ones that posted their experiences here, and i am so glad that this site is not just not another search engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just post the following on another thread but thought I would copy it here also. But I have been more than satisfied with my new truck. I live in Arizona, so I am not dealing with the cold temps of north country.

With my 2007 Chevy LBZ 3500 Dually Crew Cab, my first trip with a 1000 miles on truck when I started, I got 12.5 mpg (hand calculated) towing my 16,700 lb Carri-lite 36 SLX5 5th wheel. traveling an average speed of 60mph.

My second trip with 2000 miles on the truck minus the RV, I traveled 1800 miles and got 17.9 mpg (hand calculated) which had about 1400 miles of freeway travel at average speed of 65mph and 400 miles of city/sight seeing miles.

I am thrilled :) when I compare to my 2001 Chevy 3500 Ex Cab Gasser. But as many have suggested, the mph will determine at lot to your mpg.

Dale

2007 Chevy LT 3500 LBZ Crew Cab Dually, 60 gal auxillary fuel tank/tool box, and Bak Flip Tonneau cover, 20k Reese 5th wheel hitch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts