Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to test this today as I hadn't seen it come on other than at startup. With the DIC saying the range was 21 miles, the low fuel warning finally came on. The needle was below the red part of the gage. I drove a couple more miles to a station and proceeded to put 25.8 gallons in
(top of the neck)! I don't know how much residual there was in the tank, but it sure wasn't much.

Is there a way to make that thing alert earlier? I was pulling a tractor on a trailer (probably 8K+) and had been running 70 - 75 prior to that. At 10.4-11.3 MPG (
) wouldn't have gone much farther! I did have a couple of gallons of #2 in a can in back. I think I'm going to start carrying more.

(CC SBw/26 gal tank) Edited by: Kartattack

·
Registered
38 Posts
It depends on what truck you have [regularcab crewcab extendedcab, longbed short bed] I have a crewcab longbed dually and it has a 34 gallon tank. If you put 25.8 gallons in it and your truck has a 34 gallon tank like mine then you had a good while before it would of ran out. Check and see what size tank your truck has on it. I have pulled a 6 horse trailer with my low fuel lite on from Hagerstown Maryland to Frederick Maryland and still didnt run out. That was about 25 miles up and down steep long grades. I do like to carry 5 gallons of fuel in a container just for cheap insurance

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I should have stated that its a 26 gallon tank. It's a CC SB. I usually keep 5 gallons with me, but I had put some in the tractor. I might have been sitting on the side of the road trying to drain it back out if I relied solely on the warning!Edited by: Kartattack

·
Registered
212 Posts
My "Low Fuel Warning" came on this past weekend and just as it did, I was pulling into a Flying J to get fuel. I was able to put 31 gal. in the tank to the top of the neck. So it looks like I still would have had at least 3 gal left in the tank. I wouldn't want to bet my wife on this though.
Edited by: TX-DMAX

·
Registered
152 Posts
My has low fuel light has come on when the guage is down to zero and the DIC range says 30 miles which left me with about ~2 gallons (filled with ~24).

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
mine comes on at a range of 38miles, this will differ between trucks, my fuel milage is great(22plus) which will bring up the miles once the light comes on, as if if my truck was averaging 11mpg it would be19 miles

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I have yet to see the light in 19,000 and I guess im not going to try to get it... That sucks... My 2000 would come on at just less than a 1/4........

·
Registered
432 Posts
My low fuel light comes on and I have pushed it about 85 more miles..........but wait, I have the Transfer Flow 45 gallon tank! LOL

I have put in 41 gallons and it was getting to be white knuckle time.

I understand all fuel tanks have a 10% federally mandated extra capacity to cover fuel expansion in high temp areas. So a 26 gallon tank is actually able to hold 28.6 gallons. At the same time you can not suck the tank dry and there is always a gallon+ that can not be drawn out by the pump. This is why some people can fuel up at 25+ gallons and not have run out yet.

Can you imagine the crap that is in those last 2-3 gallons, not to mention that the fuel is used to cool the Electronic components and low fuel equals quick recycling of fuel at higher temps resulting in less cooling of electronic components. So we overheat low fuel and overheat the "brains" of our trucks.....

Interesting!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well my fuel warning light came on late. In fact, I was relying on the DIC and learned my lesson. After showing 60 miles left, the DIC showed a very rapid drop in miles remaining as I drove. Faster than it should. Was not towing - just city driving. To make a long story short, the fuel low light came on at Costco. Went in to shop , came out and started it up and about 5 miles later, ran out of gas at an intersection - surprise. I havent let it get much below 1/4 tank since.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Here's an important point in this story. Don't run below 1/4 on a regular basis anyway. Fuel is uesed to cool the ECU on the DMAX. If you run low fuel there is less cool fuel as it sits in the tank. You will start running hot fuel back through the ECU at some point.

Unless I'm on the highway and can't find a station I never go below 1/4 tank.

This solves the probelm about worrying about the light and when it comes on anyway.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the respones. I didn't realize fuel cooled the ECU, so I won't ever let it get that low again on purpose.

I can certainly understand now why those that haul big trailers want a bigger tank. I am considering adding an aux tank now myself.

I would like to see the light come on at, or just below, 1/4 tank. Is there anyway to change this setting?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good question, but I don't think it can be calibrated.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
U don't need a lite to tell u it is 1/4 tank of fuel.

W/ a range of 400-600 miles I need to stop anyway for MY fuel tank and also some recycling

·
Registered
432 Posts
With my 45 gallon Transfer Flow tank I can go about 725-775 miles on a tank. There is no way, my bladder can go over 300 miles LOL

·
Registered
540 Posts
With my stock 34 gallon tank I can go around 500 miles on the highway, even as a dually. No way my 5 year old can go that long without a stop!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 2008 2500 with a 26 gal tank. My light comes on and guage reads E ill fill up and it will only take 11 gal max.
Whats the problem? Sending unit,
At 1/2 tank ill fill up and it will take 4 gal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts