Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's 5F this morning and the truck starts just fine. She sat in the driveway at high idle for about 10 minutes and I jumped in for the drive to work. There is a good hill going out of my neighborhood and as soon as I tried to accelerate up it the truck stumbles, the check engine light comes on and I've got very little power.

I was forced to take my truck to the stealer (at about 30 mph and no more than 1900 rpm) and grab a loaner car to get to work.

I just got off the phone with them. The code was for low fuel rail pressure they can't get it to throw the code again. Fuel filter has less than 4000 miles on it.

I'm guessing gelled fuel. Wadda you guys think?

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
P1093?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine threw the 1093 code whenever it was below 5 degrees. I am using Power Service and I dont think it is helping much. It may be bad fuel also? I am going to try a new additive and see if it helps.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Here's the scenario...

Cold temps = Thick fuel.

Low micron filter = Big restriction with thick fuel.

Since the CP3 low pressure pump has to suck it's own fuel, when it's thick it can't supply itself enough fuel.

Thank the finance boys for this one...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
my dad ran summer fuel at -35 and yes it did have a bit of a miss but no low fuel pressure and he doesnt change his filter till its plugged. What am saying is as a person in the fuel buisness i do not belive that it was a thick fuel issue

·
Registered
7 Posts
my dad ran summer fuel at -35 and yes it did have a bit of a miss but no low fuel pressure and he doesnt change his filter till its plugged. What am saying is as a person in the fuel buisness i do not belive that it was a thick fuel issue
I am no expert at this but if you get bad fuel would it not be a cause for the fuel thickening?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments guys!

The code thrown was P0087.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am no expert at this but if you get bad fuel would it not be a cause for the fuel thickening?

No it shouldnt cause thickening as thickening is a property of the fuel itself no matter what junk is in it. #2 is rated good down to -29 celcius, may be a little higher down southe but not by much. I run summer fuel untill it gets that cold and i have never had a problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It fixed itself!

I talked to the tech. By the time he had gotten the truck in the shop the "Safe Mode" had shut itself off and he couldn't get it to throw the P0087 code again. It was up to 20F by this time too. Just to be sure it wasn't going to happen again he did a little extra.

It sounds like he measured the fuel rail pressure with my old fuel filter on there and then measured it again with a new fuel filter installed and got the same number. They gave me the new filter and associated labor gratis. (I got pinched for the computer diagnosis though)

I beat the truck a bit on the way home and everything seems fine. I'll update if something goes south....

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Why would you have to pay for computer diagnosis if the truck is under warranty?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't have to pay for that?

Why would you have to pay for computer diagnosis if the truck is under warranty?
Please tell me more. I'd love to not pay for it if I am entitled to it. I have all of the extended warranty I was allowed to purchase at the time of sale.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So it's 5F this morning and the truck starts just fine. She sat in the driveway at high idle for about 10 minutes and I jumped in for the drive to work. There is a good hill going out of my neighborhood and as soon as I tried to accelerate up it the truck stumbles, the check engine light comes on and I've got very little power.

I was forced to take my truck to the stealer (at about 30 mph and no more than 1900 rpm) and grab a loaner car to get to work.

I just got off the phone with them. The code was for low fuel rail pressure they can't get it to throw the code again. Fuel filter has less than 4000 miles on it.

I'm guessing gelled fuel. Wadda you guys think?
I had the same problem. Dealer changed fuel filter and now it goes above 1900 rpm but still runs crappy and has a stutter. Mine is going in tomorrow. I also had white smoke like crazy and was losing power going up hill. Temp was -5 F. I know it wasn't gelling because I always use Power Service and when the problem occurred I put in Rescue 911 and it didn't help at all, even after another 40+ miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wasn't the cold that did it! Engine light is back on and the truck is in safe mode again. It was 27F and the truck was fully warmed up.

This time I was 10 minutes into my 30 min. commute and got slowed down because of a crash. After 10 mins of bumper to bumper crawling along to get past the wreck I gave it a little pedal to accelerate and the truck stumbled, the light SES light came on and RPM is limited to 2000.

WTF!!!!!

I made it to work and the truck is in the lot...Maybe it will fix itself again. I'm going to make sure the jack azz didn't reinstall the old fuel filter at lunchtime.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine light is OFF! and the truck is running fine again.

I went out at lunch to see if the truck had "Fixed" itself and I'll be damed but the light went off while I was out.

• Turned truck on - engine light still on
  • Drove 10 mins shut truck off
  • Turned truck on - engine light still on
  • Drove 1.5 mins shut truck off
  • Turned truck on - engine light still on - 30 seconds later it's off
I dont FCensored ing get it!

·
Registered
216 Posts
You probably still have a stored code. There are some codes that set the engine light, but ... if 3 or so self test cycles (usually at key on) pass, then it turns the engine light back off. See if the same code is stored this time.

·
Registered
686 Posts
light will stay on for 50 start cycles so the problem is not fixed. And under warranty u do not have to pay for the computer fee.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
the most you should have to pay at the dealer is your $100 deductible if your over 36,000 miles.

whats that code translate as? I can't find it in my chit arse OBDII book. Mine only goes to p0086 in generic codes and doesnt have it listed in GM Codes either. WTF?

light on or off the code is still in there if no one has erased it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
P0087 is "low fuel rail pressure"

I made it all the way home (35 miles @ 70-75 mph) with no incident last night.

This morning I'm on the way to work with the cruise set at 75 mph and it happened again. Engine light and only 2000 rpm. I pulled into a rest area shut her off and let the truck sit for 2-3 mins. The light was still on when I started back up but I could get more than 2000 rpm. Everything was good for about 10 mins and then it went back into limp mode.

I made an appointment with the mechanic for next Tue. I would love to be able to go to him with some clues as to what is hapening and why.

Anyone?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts