Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the truck has been on jack stands for a couple months while I rebuilt the front end. My driveway already has a very small slope which was amplified by the front end being up in the air.

Finally finished everything and charged the batteries but when I went to start it, I received a message stating low fuel. The gauge in the dash reads it's empty but I know I filled it before working on it and my trans flow computer says the main tank and auxiliary tanks are full (26 and 50 gallons, respectively). I also have an air dog 2 lift pump.

Truck starts for a quick second then shuts off. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Maybe due to not being ran for this time period, you might have some air in the system. Did you try bleeding the fuel filter. You've got a pusher pump but you might have some air.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No CEL but scanned it and came back with P0463

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe due to not being ran for this time period, you might have some air in the system. Did you try bleeding the fuel filter. You've got a pusher pump but you might have some air.
I have removed the CP3 because it was leaking. I let the lift pump run for a while to prime it but that didn't fix it either

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Code P0463 indicates the voltage signals from the Fuel Level Sensor are irrationally high and indicating the impossible condition of there's more fuel in the tank ..

Reactions: 412KING

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Code P0463 indicates the voltage signals from the Fuel Level Sensor are irrationally high and indicating the impossible condition of there's more fuel in the tank ..
So does that mean I filed it too much and/or I need to siphon out some fuel and then try it?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Could possibly be that your were on an incline for so long, maybe the fuel level sensor is stuck causing this problem. Maybe get the truck to level ground, shake the truck so the fuel sloshes around and the sensor goes to the proper position. Not an expert but just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely all makes sense. I'll give it a try. Shake it around then try a little later

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noticed another thing. The interior lights don't come on when opening the doors and the lock/unlock buttons aren't doing anything

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had similar electrical issues when I had a battery on its last legs. Parts store said both were good but 1 was not up to the task. Eventually stopped taking a charge. Replaced and everything was fine. May be a loose connection at one or both of them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have the low fuel level, p0463, issue as well?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you have the low fuel level, p0463, issue as well?

No, but I had 2 or 3 other strange codes & a TCM communication code. Cant remember exactly which they were but they made no sense and were all electrical and unrelated to any work Id been doing. I also had mine on stands doing front end rebuild work and water pump. I had trickle chargers on both batteries and both were completely disco'd from the truck. A day or so after I got it back on the road it started acting up. Eventually it wouldn't start if it sat for more than a day. After the parts store said both batteries were good I started chasing a parasitic load that did not exist which sucked. Finally tested the batteries myself & found the bad battery.

Not saying its your issue but its worth looking into and ruling out IMO. Also scan and clear all codes and see what returns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also had the no interior lights & dead lock/unlock.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, sure enough I had a bad battery. Everything seemed to be fixed except for the fuel level low message and the dash gauge showing empty even though my tank is full. As long as it continues to run, I'll be okay with that. That gauge was never accurate and I always depended on what the transflow screen said.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
The fuel level is capacity, not a float level.

Drive it, it will more than likely clear up once it sees the capcity change....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been driving it the past couple days and it goes in and out on actually reading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts