Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idles at about 270-300 ish, and on level ground below 90 mph...I cannot get it above 1100 degrees, typically 1050 at the top of 6th at 3500 rpm even...seems kind of low. Running a K&N, 3 inch section of pipe replacing the muffler, and the hypertech 90 hp tune. Up a grade at 75 (pretty steep) will not see over 900 degrees. Is it possible because my truck is pretty light ~5900 ish??? Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
To get heat you will need to load the engine .... Level ground is not much of a load on the Duramax ....

What your seeing for temps are fairly normal ...A few reason why you might feel your rereadings are different ...

You might have a thicker pyro probe then most and never see spike tempatures ... Is your EGT reading Pre or Post turbo ,as post turbo temps will read lower by a much as a couple hundred degrees depending of course on load ...That paticular tuner is conservative in HP making...Etc

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the probe pre-turbo, and it is a pretty thick probe. I am not sure how "conservative" it is, but it makes a hell of alot more power than when the truck was stock. Thanks for the response. Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going up the largest hill in santa maria, pretty steep, leaving the cruise on sees boost readings of 10 initially psi at 75 to keep the speed, I could not get it over 1100 flooring it in 6th, it hit the spee dlimiter before it could overtemp it, I think part of the reason is that I lose a big of EGT on the shifts, as well as boost.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Wickedsprint said:
...and is 3mph faster than my buddys 95 mustang GT...he got pissed...haha....

If he has a yellow -stang then he is really pissed, because I covered him in black smoke when he tried to pass me on Pine canyon road the other day.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Probe thickness is a huge factor. my autometer open tip comp probe reacts 10 times as fast as my original thick, closed-tip probe.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have two more theories, one, the air outside has been pretty cool..not sure how big of a factor that is, two, I used the same power wire for the EGT box as for the EGT/Boost backlighting..not sure how much juice the bulbs take..wonder if that could affect te readings..going to drive around today let it get up to charge, then while still idling going to take a reading on the power wire going to the box while everything is on and running. Stock the egts seem about the same, returned it to stock last night in preps for the quad showing up today. I discount theory number two because my idle egts seem to be with everyone elses, about 300 at a light, dip to 270 after about 30-40 seconds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts