Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first .......Working on a 01 gmc Lb7 engine 279,000 miles . just purchased two months ago drove five miles ,low coolant light comes on.Topped off surge tank. drove 300 miles . all's well. next morning going to the store light comes on. this is what i have found going on. surg tank stays pressered up ,cool or hot even over night , bubbles in surge tank.
Every now and then sounds like a cylinder kicks in and out ,at idle only . no smoke , not running hot ,no water out the tail pipe . THinking this is gonna be a head gasket ....Dealership kept truck for a hole 30 min said head gasket. 3600.00 $$$$ Mabey i am not getting all the air out of the system. noticed someone put a new surge tank on it. HELP!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
01's are no strangers to head gasket issues. Depending on where you live someone on here might be able to help you out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baton Rouge La.

Baton Rouge la. Today i noticed that when the thermostat opens it pushed water out the over flow tube .350 miles no low coolant light on yeat. looking for a LB7 engine i found a lly For 3100.00 59k miles need good mechanic or an engine

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Depending on how much money you want to spend, it's be done before by putting an lly motor in a lb7 truck. Another thing I would consider is your out of the 200,000 mile injector warranty also(around 4grand for dealer to fix). I belive in the 04.5-05 lly forum there is a post about doing the swap. I would think you'd be money a head in the long run by doing it plus lly injectors are easier to change. You could then sale your lb7 stuff that is still good.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
SteveFord;1600719; said:
Depending on how much money you want to spend, it's be done before by putting an lly motor in a lb7 truck. Another thing I would consider is your out of the 200,000 mile injector warranty also(around 4grand for dealer to fix). I belive in the 04.5-05 lly forum there is a post about doing the swap. I would think you'd be money a head in the long run by doing it plus lly injectors are easier to change. You could then sale your lb7 stuff that is still good.
:exactly: :D
LLY injector failures are a rarity.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
:hail: This is the guy to talk to about the swap!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swap

would rather just find a lb7 throw it in and be done with it i work on the road need it done fast with no problems

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Fastest way would make sure its a head gasket and replace them both. Good Luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts