Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go again,
Ok here is the problem. Last week I noticed the amp gauge was reading low and engine did not crank over as easily as it should. As I drove (about 2min) I noticed the amp gauge getting lower to the point where everything went dead including power. I limped the truck back home. I figured it was that alternator, so I replaced it and the belt. Now I notice after initial start up the amp gauge is reading around 13 instead of its usual 14.5. After driving for a few min the amps go up to normal and remain that way until the vehicle is shut down. Start up again and the same story. Any ideas on what is causing this? BTW, New batteries, cables and starter last year.
Thanks!
Eric.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Check the spacer that connects the 2 batterys together on the pass side. likely they are corroded/wore out check all connections at battery ends

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
bet ya you can move or wiggle that spacer connection. if ya can it's toooo looose and needs tightening.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your both right. The double connection was a little loose, as was the pos connection on the drivers side batt. Can either of you explan why the volts were low only for a short period of time? I would have thought they would stay that way or do it on and off. Just didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Just clean and tighten. Don't try to understand the magic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dp You dont say much but you always get the poin across. I like that.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I limped the truck back home. I figured it was that alternator, so I replaced it and the belt.
Eric.

betcha dollar your are now wondering if the alternator was bad to start with or if the connections were loose to start with. if it's any help to anyone you can usually take an alternator to a shop for a free test. then go from there.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Your both right. The double connection was a little loose, as was the pos connection on the drivers side batt. Can either of you explan why the volts were low only for a short period of time? I would have thought they would stay that way or do it on and off. Just didn't make sense to me.
If you'll all forgive the semi technical stuff. The loose connection = high resistance : pulling current through high resistance = heat (also = voltage drop, thus the low voltage initially) : heat = metal expansion = better contact (thus no longer dropping voltage across bad connection)

Ok so it wasn't too technical.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
And, it's a voltmeter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GuyBB,
Yeah, I know it is the volt meter. I don't know what I was or was not thinking when I posted. Blonde moment I guess. Anyway, thanks to all that posted. Yibbutkeen, that makes alot of sense to me. Edzzed, I owe you a dollar. That exact thought wnet through my mind. I guess the only good thing is that when I picked up the new one, I had not removed the old one yet so I still have it. It only has an $8 core charge so I am gonna get it tested and if it is goo keep it as a spare, or sell to the lowest bidder, lol. Thanks again all. I can't say enough good things about this site and all who share the info.
Eric.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts