Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm slowly getting miles on my truck....had it some over a month and so far I've racked up about 1400 miles. Not much by some drivers but it is more than I had on my 01 Dodge Cummins when it left me stranded on the road for the first time. Clutch lunched itself and grooved the bell housing bad. So far all I've had was some turbo code on the check engine light... runs like a scared rabbit and have beeen getting anywhere from 15-19 mpg... that too is better than the old Dodge...ain't life grand...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yep, I love mine and can't seem to drive it enough.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey subman how is the lly/zf combo treating you. Is the power the same as the allison. Just wondering.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm in a love-hate relationship w/ mine.

LOVE:

Transmission

Hauling/towing capacity

Seats

Upgradeability (as soon as power mods come out for it)

Turbo loves to sing to me

HATE:

Tire/wheel size (way too tiny)

Shocks just plain suck

Paint quality (I scratched it w/ my cell phone on my belt)

Bed cables or bed is "off" (one cable has more slack than the other)

Being scared about potential injector issues (I've ordered the Racor filter kit)

Being scared about potential warranty issues

MPG is lower than I expected (13-14 city w/o hauling)

·
Registered
1 Posts
mbeckwith

Once I put 285's on, my 2001 rode REALLY nice.

I found my mileage improved as the mileage approached 30k. The mileage also seemed to drop a bit each winter when the winter blend of fuel was being used.

My 1999 Suburban (110k miles) has had one tail gate cable tight and one slacked since new. I have always wrote it off to the cables being manufactured that way and/or the drilling of the four post holes required for mounting not being exactly squared up.

Every diesel engine I ever operated had two fuel filters. Install the RACOR, (or which ever), and enjoy the truck.

pac

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TODD,

never had an allison to compare the 6spd to but i love to shift gears anyway. so far it has been great.. love the shift pattern over the dodge 6spd... lot easier to find the right gear especially on downshifts... last tank of combo driving netted 17mpg... that too is way better than the dodge... it would be in the 14mpg range... like I said... so far it's been great... one doesn't realize how good it is till you've been down in the dumps with a lemon Dodge...been there done that and will never stray again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts