Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some bad things happeining when I am driving on the freeway about 60mph if my foot is barely on the gas my motor (I think) starts knocking real loud then the truck starts jerking then white smoke comes pouring out the back. It does not happen all the time and as soon as I let off the gas it goes away and the truck runs fine. I am going to the dealer tommorow for a test drive with the service manager but the problem is hard to duplicate any suggestions for my dealer would help. Dmax techs says maybe fuel injector problem I hope my dealer can figure it out

Thanks

Shaydog

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
has it ever happened without your juice being hooked up? if not, unhook it and see if the problem persists. if it doesn't, clean the contacts and use some dialectric grease and see what happens. i've seen other posts related to that. you might want to try a search. How many miles on your '03?

Nick

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my juice set to 0 when it happened last now I took it completely off I will try again before I go to dealer I only have 3500 miles on the truck.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Well Dog seems that you may just have a bad injector as white smoke is unburned fuel ... This does happen,as it is mechanical, and failures will occur .....

Good luck let us know how you make out ....

Thanks

Mac

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mac I hope its something easy do you think the Juice had something to do with it and why would it only happen sometimes and why would it knock sorry for all the whys?

Thanks

Shaydog

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other thing I can drive around town with the juice on like a bat out of hell with my foot in it all the time and my truck runs real strong but its just that floating point when your foot if barley on the pedal when things go wrong.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If it was a metal on metal sounding knock, then it would be a misfiring injector. Any SES light?

I had a loose wire on top on injector #3 and caused this sound (misfired). My truck did go into limp mode and ran on 4 cylinders.Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No SES lights I will drive later with out juice maybe something was wrong there I will let you know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok the juice did it and I am not talking about O.J. I took of the juice put it all back to stock and I can not reproduce the problem now so I guess I will call edge tomorow now the only question is it the juice or the attitude I think the juice to be continued.

Thanks for the help.

Shaydog

·
Registered
448 Posts
Back to cleaning the connectors, making sure there are no unseated pins, using dielectric grease. BTW that knock can be very destructive if it's severe enough

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a64pilot what is BTW and the problem only happened about 5 times for about 5 seconds but the last one was about 20 seconds I hope I did not screw anything up. I drove it around with out the juice and it seems fine but what do I know.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
shaydog24 said:
a64pilot what is BTW and the problem only happened about 5 times for about 5 seconds but the last one was about 20 seconds I hope I did not screw anything up. I drove it around with out the juice and it seems fine but what do I know.

Thanks
Send me the Juice. I'll test it on my truck

OOPs....

Hey, will it plug into my Cavalier rentaslug?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
BTW = By The Way

·
Registered
448 Posts
shaydog24,

BTW= By The Way. The metallic rattle noise is most probably detonation. Detonation will result in excessive stress and heat in the combustion chamber. Usually the piston is the weakest point and detonation can result in melted piston domes. I've had the melted piston smear down around the rings on gas engines resulting in loss of compression and actually made dime size holes in the piston heads on gas engines as well. I've not personally seen diesel engines damaged from detonation, but I assume their prone to it as well. I assume if it is running fine you probably didn't hurt it, I only wanted you to know that it might get hurt if it was allowed to detonated for too long.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Called edge today they told me to try relocating the juice maybe electrical interference weird but I tried it I also but some stuff on the pins it was not dialectical grease I cant find that stuff anywhere but it was similar and so far so good I have not got it up on the freeway today but I will tonight edge said if it still happens they will give me a new box stay tuned.

·
Registered
845 Posts
shaydog, my truck did this for almost 2 years now. I helped Juice with it and it is a timing issue, henche the knock and the white smoke, I think the timing is retarded to such a horrible point. Mine would do it for 20 secs and go away and then come back again a month 2-3-4 later. It would only happen when it was raining out. Their solution was to run an non timing box. I tried 4.61 on a rainy day it would screw up, I pulled over slapped in a non timing, and it wouldnt come back.

They never really said what caused it, But it first started screwing up with my version 3.0. It still screwed up with 4.61. Now im running 4.35 non timing. I also replaced my MAF sensor, and havent be able to try my brothers 4.61 timing box to see if that might have been the culprit. Let me know if you are told of any possible solutions, moving my box didnt help.

Shoot me an email [email protected]

Bill

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Bill

Its good to know I am not the only one when I called Edge they asked me if it happens in the rain but I live in sunny Socal (southern California) it does not rain much it happens in normal weather. I tried relocating it and went on a long drive and sure as sh*t it happened again so I took it off on the way home no problem excepts my truck is a dog with out it. So I will send it to Egde on Monday they said they would warranty it but it sounds like you are still having a problem so I don't know if it will help I will find out I am running the latest version 4.73 I have to because I have the attitude. I will keep you informed thanks for the input I hope they get it worked out because I am afraid of screwing my engine up.

Thanks

Shaydog

1 - 17 of 17 Posts