Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck had been running for about 15 minutes yesterday, I was outside of it while it was ideling and I saw coolant start pouring out of it. It was running down the inner fender looked like it was coming from the over flow tank. I felt the radiator and it was cool so I took the cap off and there was a lot of pressure in it. I lost some coolant and the leak stopped. I had to put some more coolant in it because I lost so much when I took the cap off. I let the truck sit for 14 hrs in 40 deg weather and this morning it still had pressure. Questions.
Does this system have anykind of pressure relief?
Could this pressure be from a head gasket blown?
Could this have been some kind of air bubble in the system?

The truck is fine now, coolant level is correct, no leaks!
Any idea?
Oil is clean (no water in the oil)

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
How many miles?Have the injectors been replaced?

Excessive pressure in the coolant system can be a leaking injector cup seal to a bad head gasket.

The best test is to do a Co detection in the coolant.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 56,000 miles. I don't believe the injectors have been replaced! How do I check to see if there is CO in the coolant?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I normally go to a radiator shop to have a test but guess repair shops also have the capability too ~ seem to recall one in folsum when I was a kid growing up in o'vale.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i believe that this should be covered under warranty if it is an engine issue correct?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Help please anybody!

·
Registered
251 Posts
yes it should be covered under the 100,000 mile engine waranty or the 200,000 mile injector warranty

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Hasn't done it again? If so maybe your real lucky and a T-stat was stuck.Are you the original owner?

You could go to Napa and get a Combustion leak tester and do it yourself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mackin, No I'm not the original owner and I have only had the truck for about 4 months. I thought about the stuck thermostat but wouldn't the truck have gotten real hot after running for 15 min.? I drove it about 4 miles and it was ideling for the rest of the time.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Mackin, No I'm not the original owner and I have only had the truck for about 4 months. I thought about the stuck thermostat but wouldn't the truck have gotten real hot after running for 15 min.? I drove it about 4 miles and it was ideling for the rest of the time.
Then post your vin in the proper section and get the warranty history information would be the best start.Chances are it has been in for a injector issue which might explain your dilemma of a improperly seated injector cup seal.

Heres the forum http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72 one of the guys will run it for you .Let them know it's urgent.

You will have warranty coverage so don't worry!

Good luck

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mackin! Now that you said that I remeber him showing me some receipts of some injector work that was done before he sold it! I will have it into the stealer tomorrow

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
could someone explain how the injectors would build pressure in the cooling system

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't really understand that either but I don't know much about diesels yet!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
In this case the injector sits in a cup in the head.It is sealed with a high temp sealant.They are known to lose sealing capabilities during injector replacement. This allows combustion gasses to work it's way into the coolant chambers.

The short and sweat

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
In this case the injector sits in a cup in the head.It is sealed with a high temp sealant.They are known to lose sealing capabilities during injector replacement. This allows combustion gasses to work it's way into the coolant chambers.

The short and sweat
the way i read it was the injectors was what made the pressure in the coolant but iget what you are saying know

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
if you want ot check to see if combustion gasses are getting into your cooling system you can get a rad cap that has a fitting on the top of it so you can put a hose on it and get a bucket fill the bucket with water put the hose on the cap then get a two liter bottle put it in the bucket let it fill up with water then with the opening og the bottle faceing down but still full of water put the hose in the bottle all the way in so the hose is at the bottom of the bottle start the engine let it run and if all of the water gets pushed out of the bottle you have combustion gasses going into the cooling system if only a little of the water gets pushed out that is normal due to the pressure in the cooling system itself

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took it to the stealer and they said that it just had an air bubble in the cooling system and that the head gasket's and injectors seemed fine. They said that it took them a while to get the air bubble out. I also had them check my surging idle and they are going to replace the pressure control switch. Switch under warranty, 106.00 for the air bubble!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Prediction - you don't have a air bubble. These systems are self purging. I would put my money on Mac. When you do take it back for the injector cups, have them take the $106 off the deductable.

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts