Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sold my 94 K1500 with a 6.5L turbo to a friend. I told him it had some problems. Like it was the hardest starting motor i ever owned. anyway he's put about 10000 miles on it since june of 05 when he bought it. It has 206000 on it. the other night he came to plow my yard and he said just started using about 3 quarts of oil in 500 miles and had no low end power. and it smoked when you got on it like a mosquito fogger. What happend? I feel bad because i didn't think there was anything major wrong just little stuff. He's not mad at me. He thinks he must have lost a ring or something. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like it time to pin a Purple Heart on old girl because she has served with honor. Or the piston rings and valve seats are worn.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The turbo is not functioning - check vacuum pump for 22"hg at idle, then check at wastegate actuator for about 15"hg

Read thru FAQs for various troubleshooting procedures

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you don't have a vacuum gauge, I'd be interested in a visual inspection. Pull the intake to the turbo off. Check the blade condition, spin the shaft, and check for end play.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about the wastegate but does that explain the oil comsumption? I can here the turbo whining through the tail pipe. It's straight pipe so i can here it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The turbo could be using the oil, pull the rubber intake hose and see how much oil is in there. (turbo seals could be shot, causing it to dump oil in the intake and the exhaust)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll my friend check that before he starts tearing the motor apart.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
The turbo could be using the oil, pull the rubber intake hose and see how much oil is in there. (turbo seals could be shot, causing it to dump oil in the intake and the exhaust)
That's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
You're right - turbo problems would fit in with the mosquito fogger syndrome.

I missed the 3qts\500mi part - that would make blue smoke, not black.

A gasser consumes oil because of the Vacuum developed on the intake stroke - 'draws' crankcase oil up thru worn rings, or scored cylinder walls, or cracked pistons, etc

Diesels do not develop Vacuum in the intake.

Worn rings, scored cylinders, cracked pistons result in increased compression\combustion blowby, pressurizing the crankcase, where oil can be forced past pistons on the intake stroke.

Gassers 'draw' the oil past the rings, Diesels force the oil past - a Diesel will have much more blowby pressure for a similar fault.

Remove the oil filler cap, observing the volume of crankcase vapors - should be low at cold, somewhat more at operating temps from a good engine.

3qts\500mi sounds more like a really bad leak, tho - have him check under the truck, noting oil-trace on the drivetrain and chassis.

One other alternative - if the intake filter is dirty, or wet, Diesel will develop intake Vacuum, drawing oil vapor thru the CDR, as well as past the rings.

Also check to see if some critter, trying to keep warm, has made its home in the intake tract, ahead of the air filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts