Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I screwed up.

Took a shortcut to (not from) my favorite backwoods bar. This involves crossing a low water bridge (creek) that was a bit frozen. As we all know, ice doesn't compress well. Dented up the bumper, tore up the air dam, broke a headlight, etc. Oh well, it's just a truck.

Problem is I no longer have Park. Granted, as far as gears go Park is somewhat overated, but I do miss it. As I shift from R to P, it doesn't engage and just remains in reverse. I have to start in N, but can remove the keys by shifting to where P used to be.

I don't know squat about automatic transmissions. Where do I begin looking for the problem. There's trans fluid on the dip stick, and no signs of leakage on garage floor. Could water in the engine compartment gotten into something, like a Juice connection? Or did I bend something up underneath?

Advice and guidance much appreciated.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks Darin!

Went to check/look at the NSBU switch on the tranny and found that the rubber boot was pushed back on the cable, and the cable was pushed up, but not kinked. Straightened the cable, stretched the boot back out, and now I have Park again.

Look at me now...I'm a Allison Transmission mechanic.

Question now is do I take the rest of the day off or head into work...heck, that one's not too tough

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
JUST A TRUCK ? ?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yeah, Shumdit, can he borrow yours for a couple of days?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez...I thought I was driving ShumDit's truck.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Idle_Chatter said:
Yeah, Shumdit, can he borrow yours for a couple of days?

Ya kindin' right? I've a problem letting the dealer touch mine. I talk to my truck ~ I would never call it - just a truck. It might hear me and start acting like a f**D.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Just, kidding, Edski, good to see that you are a tough owner AND a good sport!
It IS a truck, but I'm afraid that my machismo doesn't extend much beyond not slowing down for railroad crossings.
Also glad that your tranny issue was simple, sorry 'bout the light and wrinkles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts