Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'01 DMax...The best DSL I've owned...'till now.At 96K trouble started with injectors. Local dealer replaced two. Soon as I picked up the truck, I noticed what sounded like a low rod knock and lifter tick. I was on the road and two diff GM dealers said it was "OK". Now the noise is worse and it's past the warranty (102K). I would like to keep the truck but I'm leary of on the road trouble. From what I've read here, it could cost about 5-8K to have it repaired. What really burns me is the noise, I bought the rig for the quietness of the DSL. Now it sounds like my old Power Stroke. My question is this: Should I replace the injectors (if it is the injectors making the noise) and keep the truck or trade for a new DMax? I really like the truck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The dealer is supposed to change all 8 if there is a problem, I would take it back where you had the work done and get it fixed right.

If the dealer gives you any crap I'd call costumer service at GM and tell them what happened.

I think with it being that close they will most likely take care of it for you.

Also read somewhere on this board about 120,000 mile warranty on injectors.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Some noise is normal .... Do you run any additive or additional finer filtering ??

I will have an occasional knock and other times it's quiet as can be ...

I can tell you my balance rate is well with in exceptable tolerance now since running additive and a 2 um filter regularly ...

Mac

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would certainly try to make a case for having the work done under warranty. Present it as a continuation of issues that began while warranty was still valid. Call GM customer service, and if you can pursuade them to help you then demand to have a well experienced Dmax tech do the work. Internal engine problems are pretty rare, there is a good chance that injection is the only problem you have even if it sounds mechanical. --SS

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
"I noticed what sounded like a low rod knock and lifter tick."

Haven't had any injectors replaced but I have the same noises. The engine is noticably louder at 71,000 miles than it was at 10,000. The low rod knock sound has me worried as it's apparent at idle than just into the beginning of acceleration.

But hey.... there are members here, well at least one, that have had multiple Dmaxs passing 300,000 and 400,000 with nothing but praise.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Mine has a tick at idle, been there sense it was new.

Eric listened to it and said he hadn't heard this noise before.

He ran a balance check on the injectors and all were good, so the noise is a mystery for now. Hopefully it don't blow up. But if it does the General will have to fix it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would definitely push the warranty issue w/the dealer; let them know the names of the 2 dealers who you saw while traveling, and don't take no for an acceptable answer.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Would an oil analysis tell something about the condition of the bearings? I'm sure you don't have a base line to work from but if you're losing a bearing would think that would show up as pretty obvious. If it's an injector, should be seeing some diesel in the crank maybe? Where has everyone got their oil analysis done on there motors?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THX for the replies and PMs. I need another DSL but would also like to keep this one. If the culprit is the injectors, maybe I could get GM to help out. THat would go a long way towards staying with the DMax.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dropped truck at local dealer. Service writer says it needs a fuel pressure regulator. $1100.00. They have a truck I want in stock, but doesn't have the LLY. Is the LLY worth waiting for? KT

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
KT7307 said:
Dropped truck at local dealer. Service writer says it needs a fuel pressure regulator. $1100.00. They have a truck I want in stock, but doesn't have the LLY. Is the LLY worth waiting for? KT

High idle, more low end torque, and external fuel rails are the ++'s

No peformance mods available and a weaker tranny if you want to mod are the --'s, from what I have read here.

You might like that high idle when it get's cold, but that's an easy add on to an LB7 too for about $30.

So how does a pressure regulator cause a knock?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So how does a pressure regulator cause a knock?

Good Question...The Service writer said to 1st replace the regulator, then see if noise goes away. My guess is it won't, and it will cost more to go in and replace injectors.

Customer service tells me since I do my own maintence, I can't prove I've serviced it properly...so it doesn't look good so far. Looks like I'm going back to Power Strokes....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I think all you would need is a log of the maintenance you have done that covers the items that would effect the motor/fuel system. Fuel filters and oil changes are about all that would need to be covered.

·
Registered
625 Posts
KT7307
Absolutey wait for thr LLY ...You'll see why when you drive it.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I would look for a better service department .... Unless your conveying the message different I don't have to much confidence in them and it isn't my truck ....

Sounds to me like their throwing money at it ,your money,without proper diagnostic capibilities ....

Good luck and wait for a LLY .... Forget the 6.p0s .... GM is way ahead in reliability IMO since the intro of the Furd ....

Don't be drawn in by their plush service department waiting room ,it has to be comfortable for all the time you'll spend there watching daytime talk shows and soap operas ...

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I'm being offered 21,000 trade. Is that reasonable?

72,000 miles?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
hoot said:
I'm being offered 21,000 trade. Is that reasonable?

72,000 miles?

Where at FMC lot ??

Watch out HOOT I heard that Furd was trying to buy them up cheap to use as loaners for the Contracters when their trucks are in for service over and over and over again ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have 83K miles now and just added the Nicktane kit and the TFI 56 gallon tank. I noticed my truck getting a bit "louder" around 30K but has not gotten louder since. Like Mackin stated, Some days are quiet as can be, others are a bit louder. Not sure why but it has not created any problems. I have not used any 'Power Box enhancers" ever as I am quite pleased with the trucks performance as delivered.

Now here is a weird deal, I got a letter from GM stating that "GM did not meet some goal and said my truck was a desirable truck and they would give me $4K towards a new truck. This $4K was on top of any other incentive GM might be offering. They told me to take my truck to the dealer where I purchased it and they will appraise it accordingly and give me that dollar amount +$4K + the $3K GM rebate towards the purchase. This seems very unorthodox. I called the dealer and they said it was legit. At this time I am not considering this trade as my truck runs just great. Matter of fact I just made a bonzaii road trip in a day and drove round trip up near the Oregon border and back.With Cruise on at about 68-70 most of the time, I average 19.7mpg....not bad for 3500 4x4 CC Long bed dually.

Again the automarket is a self fulfilling type market, they tell you to buy up, all the while you take this severe financial loss as the car depreciates. I say drive the thing til the wheels fall off. Fix it when it breaks, maintain it well. Putting $2K or $3K to keep it tip top shape is a lot better than buying a truck for $50K and having it be worth $35K next year. That does not count the interest you are paying to the loan. Do the math.....

One other thing on the bearing material, I highly recommend buying a Tavia oil filter cutting wrench. I cut a filter everytime and find it to be exceptionally clean. I even cut the Alli unit.

Carry On and "Don't believe the hype"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts