Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was towing a trailer up a big hill when the truck caught on fire. I had my eyes on the temperature gauge so I must have not noticed my oil pressure dropping. Not exactly sure what was the weak link, I’m assuming my fabricated oil cooler line, but haven’t got a chance to take a good look yet as I’ve got a pile of oil under it I don’t want to swim in at the moment. My main question is if it’s worth fixing? It was less than kilometre that I drove with the leak(520 paces) and judging from the pool of oil under the truck I still had some left when I stopped. I turned the engine off, it didn’t seize. Also, of course I’m gonna take a better looked after I get it towed home, but there’s nowhere else other than the oil cooler line that it would leak that much oil? Drain plug/oil Filter are in.
Sky Ecoregion Road surface Plant Asphalt
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Administrator
22,296 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if your motor is blown.

When the oil cooler line goes you don't have very much time before severe damage is already done..
Find and fix the issue. fill it with oil and go from there

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,124 Posts
Were you using rotella T6 when it started puking all the oil out?Looks like a T6 jug on the ground when I zoomed in a little.It might still be okay if a synthetic was being used.

Years ago my grandfather had a 1980 C20 Chevy truck with a 350 gas engine and it lost oil pressure a long distance from home.They kept driving it as it was assumed it was just the charging system causing trouble.(Truck had those red lights instead of gauges)It was driven about 75KM after the problem occurred but it had no power on the way home since the lifters had no oil to keep the valves open.

When they did arrive finally and after dropping the oil pan we found out the oil pump driveshaft sheared off at the bottom but the bearings were absolutely perfect.Something caused the oil pump to lockup and that caused the shaft to break.

So the day before all this happened I put Mobil synthetic in it.If I hadn’t it would have destroyed everything.

The fire maybe was caused by hot oil hitting the exhaust perhaps.Any under hood damage to anything else?I’d get the cooler lines replaced and give it another go.It might still be okay.

Leroy diesel sells the oil cooler line kits I believe.If you didn’t want to buy those then rockauto sells new GM replacement lines but after a few years they may start to leak where they are crimped.Just keep an eye on them.Replace the fittings in the block above the oil filter as well if you do buy GM lines.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Send the municipality a bill for sealcoating that section of road.

I'm tearing down some engines at the moment. One of them ran but had a slight knock, was beaten to death with low oil. Pan was full of shavings. BIG ones, three spun bearing. That engine also grooved the cam (lifters ok).

Pull the pan, check for debris, check for play on the bearings. The rods will be sloppy or have fuzz around the sides from the bearings spinning. It might be fine, it might not. I bet that it is if you still had some oil pressure. Hopefully the fire didn't get into the harness

·
Registered
1997 GMC K3500 dually 4L80 4x4
64 Posts
I just replaced my oil lines and cooler with Leroys kit. So glad I did. You may be okay if you got the engine shut down soon enough. Good luck

Mac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts