Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
GM, moving slow, can't fix sh!t, dam, how long did it take to fix a steering shaft knock?
My 2001 and 2006 both had it so obviously it took a LONG time :(

Of more concern is it sounds like they have gone backwards in terms of ease of injector changing so that the L5P is like the earliest versions.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I hope GM gets their injector issues RESOLVED by 2020 cause I'm going to add the 4500 HD 4wd medium duty to my inventory :D

·
Registered
940 Posts
Add another injector failure. I was driving home last night and truck went into limp and started shaking. Edge insight says #4 injector. Dropped at dealer last night, said they would look Monday. I am a camper delivery guy so every day truck is down is no$. Truck has 155k miles, so no warranty.Can't believe injector already. the 07 I sold to get this one had 700k plus on original injectors.
do you wish you kept old truck?

:facepalm::confuzeld:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
no I don't. been really happy until now. Truck gets consistent 22-23 mpg empty, pulls great, don't have to worry about ex temps other BS that I did with built trucks. Picked up truck Monday morning and headed out. got about 175 miles and did same thing, pulled into a dealership, they said same thing but also said no way could be, called GM tech and they said replace ECM, been a few bad ones into dealership this year. First dealer is going to refund $1500 from first injector job. They said" really want to keep you as a customer ", bought 3 vehicles from them in 3 years. As long as they make it right I am ok.I understand parts do fail occasionally.Also they are giving me free loaner . Just missing work though,$$. I have 155k miles now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
update: Dealer installed new ECM. Took them 2 days as they said "new Ecm would not take program for crank position sensor". They got GM Tech center involved and between them got it working. Picked her up Friday and put 2k miles since and all seems to be fine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Another Update: I got about 3000 miles on new ECM install and truck did same thing again. Only this time I was in Saskatoon hauling 5th trailer for delivery to Grand Prairie AB. Took it to local dealer and they found bad electrical connector on injector(I suggested this to previous dealer and was told" he checked that"). Dealer replaced connector and truck has been great for 4500 miles. Trying to get GM to do something about wasted time and $ to 2nd dealer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Another Update: I got about 3000 miles on new ECM install and truck did same thing again. Only this time I was in Saskatoon hauling 5th trailer for delivery to Grand Prairie AB. Took it to local dealer and they found bad electrical connector on injector(I suggested this to previous dealer and was told" he checked that"). Dealer replaced connector and truck has been great for 4500 miles. Trying to get GM to do something about wasted time and $ to 2nd dealer.
So you think the connector was the issue all along and the ECM was fine?

·
Registered
295 Posts
seems like it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Update, Truck seems fine still. GM told me" dealership did exactly what we told them to do and our techs are nearly always right, therefore ecm must have been bad and we can't help you". Talk about some horse**** double talk. I explained to them that between wife and myself we have bought atleast 20 , probably more new GM vehicles in our lifetime I would think that would possibly carry a little weight. no luck."we can't help you".

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Update, Truck seems fine still. GM told me" dealership did exactly what we told them to do and our techs are nearly always right.
That's how Warrenty works. A dealer service dept. can't make a move for any repair and gets all there direction from GM Technecal service.
Dealer replaced my trans because that's how the dealer was directed. The Machanic said all that was wrong was my internal filter came off.
A lot of people but the blame on service dept. it's not always the case.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Sounds like at least the latest bit was not warranty work, he had to pay for it, even though it most likely was just the bad connector...

·
Registered
147 Posts
While there's nothing wrong with an 08 (I've had one) there's NO COMPARISON with the power, torque, comfort, quietness, interior styling and extras in the 2016 and later models. Worrying about an injector failure isn't a good reason to stay with an 08, sorry.

I agree. Back in 2008 I was a Ford guy and was in the market for a new truck. Was concerned about all the Ford engine issues with the 6.0 and still new 6.4 so nearly purchased a 07 LT Dmax with 14 k miles. But just didn’t like the truck. Decided to try the new body style of the 08 and totally didn’t like it either. Steering, ride and overall feel of it just didn’t suit me for some reason. So went back to Ford and purchased a new 08 F250 Lariat. Loved the truck (except seats) and after 10 years and close to 200k had no issues except replaced radiator, 2 cab mounts, and dealt with some brake gremlins. Then in October of this year decided to buy a new F250 and man are they proud of those trucks. No dealers would go more than 6k off left over 18’s plus they are about 5k more for similar equipped GM models. So friend of mine told me about local GMC dealer offering 12k off on 18’s. Decided to drive one and couldn’t believe how much improved they are in all areas. Best riding and most comfortable 3/4ton I’ve had with great steering and handling for this type truck. The fit and finish is awesome, and everything works and is designed for ease of use and simple operation. IMHO Ford seats are horrible and their trucks now have too many gimmicks. Sync sucks and apply play is much better plus I don’t need a remote electric tailgate. I mean really? The Ford key FOB is huge and the truck sits so high its hard to see in and reach things in a bed tool box. I’m 6’3 so that’s saying something. The new Fords do feel solid built but honestly my GMC feels just as solid if not more so. I do notice the cab in my GMC being somewhat smaller but still has plenty of room for what I do. Being that I travel for up to 7-8 hours at a time the comfort of these new trucks is just outstanding. I love everything about it so far just haven’t towed yet but will start this spring.

This being said I am disappointed to hear GM is still having injector issues as was hoping all this was worked out. My truck did have a weird hesitating issue a few times in first few hundred miles but hasn’t done it since and have over 7k on it now. Keeping my fingers crossed that no more issues with this pop up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Service managers own words...I’m very surprised that there was only a couple of these injectors in the south east.... I said why and he said that that’s an indication that they are having to replace quite a few...
Anyone out there with over 30k miles??? Sound off
I have 379k on my 2018 d max. I've replaced 6 injectors fist at 140k and now I'm having a problem w my number1. Its gonna out 3 times in the last week. Other than injectors I've had to "replace" all the emissions systems at 300k

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do most of the Duramax work at my dealer, and can honestly say I’ve never replaced a L5P injector yet. I’ve replaced around 6 connectors though.

to those commenting on going backwards for injector access - LML right bank used to call for transmission removal to replace injectors on that side, with a labor time of over 10 hours. It’s all got to do with packaging.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks rob1 for the update. That’s great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 18 is getting #5 replaced right now. Said I will get it back tomorrow.
Only 4k on the truck... disappointment to say the least. I have had several dmax's, the only one that ever ate injectors was my lb7. Hope this isn't a sign of more to come.
Ran great until you put a trailer on it. Then it was like a dodge...lol (dog) My LML would run circles around this one.
I feel the same way with my 2019.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Service managers own words...I’m very surprised that there was only a couple of these injectors in the south east.... I said why and he said that that’s an indication that they are having to replace quite a few...
Anyone out there with over 30k miles??? Sound off
90,000 miles 2017 2500. #4 injector connector not the actual injector. It happened around 75,000 the 1st time and I took it to dealer to get it checked out. Was told that it was the connector and not the injector. I took it home, disconnected #4, cleaned it and dabbed some dielectric grease on it and reconnected. It has ran fine until today and it has happened again, same one, #4. Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
90,000 miles 2017 2500. #4 injector connector not the actual injector. It happened around 75,000 the 1st time and I took it to dealer to get it checked out. Was told that it was the connector and not the injector. I took it home, disconnected #4, cleaned it and dabbed some dielectric grease on it and reconnected. It has ran fine until today and it has happened again, same one, #4. Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue
Yes, the guy on the dmaxforum had multiple connector failures and ended up having them all replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2017 Z71 I'm original owner . Truck just went into limp mode giving code P0-2004
I'm at 73,000 miles and its the first injector issue I've have had. Waiting for local service manager to get back to me . I wonder if they resolved this in the 2020 models ??

41 - 60 of 78 Posts