Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

You guys will love this. Went in to pick up my Truck yesterday. Service writer was quick to approach me as I walked in the door. He explained my truck was still not done. He then called up the Tech to explain. Apparently, upon replacing the injectors new Glo Plugs are installed as well. When the tech was installing the new Glo Plug the porcelain casing in the plug dropped into the cylinder. He confirmed with a camera this morning. They now have to take apart the entire top end to fish out the piece. At this point all I can do is laugh. Going in the afternoon to discuss with the GM of the dealership. Either going to drive off in a new truck or demand and entirely new L5P. With a tear down of that magnitude, I have no faith that the truck will be problem free once it is reassembled and back on the road.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I see you are in CO. Mind sharing what dealer?
Hope you get a new truck...

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
You guys will love this. Went in to pick up my Truck yesterday. Service writer was quick to approach me as I walked in the door. He explained my truck was still not done. He then called up the Tech to explain. Apparently, upon replacing the injectors new Glo Plugs are installed as well. When the tech was installing the new Glo Plug the porcelain casing in the plug dropped into the cylinder. He confirmed with a camera this morning. They now have to take apart the entire top end to fish out the piece. At this point all I can do is laugh. Going in the afternoon to discuss with the GM of the dealership. Either going to drive off in a new truck or demand and entirely new L5P. With a tear down of that magnitude, I have no faith that the truck will be problem free once it is reassembled and back on the road.
They can’t fish it out through the injector hole?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

Well they attempted to fish out the Piece but had no luck. The dealer ended up having to remove the head to retrieve the broken glow plug. After some very blunt conversations with the Service Manager and the Sales Manager, GM customer service got involved and ended up extending my bumper to bumper warranty to 60k miles, which helps. Truck was in the shop 10 days before I got it back.

The story continues. I picked up my truck last night, drove like a dream. (You can't beat the power of a Duramax, especially coming from a 14' Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L) Today, I was heading home from work and got another CEL. Pinged OnStar and they pulled the code PO677 which I believe is an indication of a bad #7 Glow Plug or a bad connection. Truck is going back to the dealership in the morning. I gave them a heads up that their "problem child" was coming back to see them tomorrow before they closed. I hope they loose some sleep thinking about seeing me back in the dealership. Lets hope its a simple fix. I have a 1200 mile trip coming up in 2 days towing my enclosed trailer. Don't think their loaner GMC canyon would be up for that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Probably another injector death here. Just under 18k miles... driving home from work, all of a sudden very bad shaking and way down on power. Traction control light came on... a little while later the CEL followed. Misfires. The fuel filter was at 4%, so I went ahead and changed it (not that I'd be that lucky), but no difference. Truck is now getting towed to the dealer. Sigh. So much for taking the camper up north this weekend.

Anyone hear if they are still backordered?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Jesus.

I just bought a new 18. Not the stuff I wanna read about.

Reactions: CarolinaHD

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Irrespective of the odds (if they are indeed 2-4 in 10,000) it is still a bit unsettling that there are ANY issues with the injectors. Maybe there's another extended warranty coming.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just as concerning as injector failures is why they went backwards about ease of replacement. Apparently designers forgot the lesson they learned after the LB7 injector problems which had multiple common failure modes and required a lot of work to replace.

I guess problematic injectors are better than the potential CP4 issues but shop time of over 5 hours to replace an injector is poor packaging of the engine systems and will be a major pain for GM and a financial issue for owners once out of warranty. These random complete failures (rather than minor leakage and high return rates of the LB7 injectors) will be a pain since you can't just limp home with a completely failed injector.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Got confirmation from the dealer this morning. My truck has two failed injectors, one on each side. Sigh. Not sure I'll have much confidence in this thing going forward. Yes "occasionally any part can fail"... but two injectors at under 18k miles?

·
Administrator
18,124 Posts
Got confirmation from the dealer this morning. My truck has two failed injectors, one on each side. Sigh. Not sure I'll have much confidence in this thing going forward. Yes "occasionally any part can fail"... but two injectors at under 18k miles?
As with any new platform, there will be bugs to work out.
Let the Dealer do its job, do the repairs and be thankful you have a warranty to cover the expense

·
Registered
60 Posts
As with any new platform, there will be bugs to work out.
Let the Dealer do its job, do the repairs and be thankful you have a warranty to cover the expense
Be thankful I have a warranty? :HiHi: I feel you're missing the point of my post. When I am 1500 miles from home towing 18,000 pounds and I lose an injector, that doesn't just make for a bad day. I've owned 6 new silverados, 7 total. This is the first one to leave me stranded. The injectors are not made by GM. I'm not bashing GM... I'm sharing information. Having two fail so soon (as well as others on the various forums) makes me think there was a manufacturing issue or something with these Denso injectors. There are people that have had their L5Ps in the shop multiple times for injectors as ones on different cylinders give up the ghost. As they are only replacing 2, that gives me 6 more that could fail at any time, and even that is assuming that the two they are installing are better than the ones originally used. Diesel injectors should last hundreds of thousands of miles.

Bottom line, until there is a better understanding as to why these injectors are failing, I have no faith in taking my truck very far/out of state.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Add another injector failure. I was driving home last night and truck went into limp and started shaking. Edge insight says #4 injector. Dropped at dealer last night, said they would look Monday. I am a camper delivery guy so every day truck is down is no$. Truck has 155k miles, so no warranty.Can't believe injector already. the 07 I sold to get this one had 700k plus on original injectors.

Reactions: oldschoolbowtie

·
Registered
295 Posts
update on injector issue. Dealer replaced #4 injector and I picked up truck, drove half mile and went into limp again had same code. took back to dealer and they have it again and are on the phone with "The General". Hope to hear something today.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Have the connectors on wiring to the injectors been checked?

Reactions: wq93

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Thanx for keeping us updated. Good luck and hope GM makes things right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Have the connectors on wiring to the injectors been checked?
I know these connectors have been an issue and one of my farmer neighbors had this issue with injector connectors on both of his 2017 Denalis; fortunately he was on top of things and got them to closely examine the connector instead of replacing the injector.

Unfortunately GM moves pretty slowly these days on resolving issues but hopefully they get a handle on this injector issue soon. I recently looked at the most recent copy of the TSB for the AFM induced torque converter shudder for the 8L45/8L90 8 speed transmissions (used in everything from compact Cadillacs through full size gas powered trucks and SUVs) which were introduced for model year 2015 and the latest word is they will have a "final" solution sometime in first quarter of 2019 nearly 5 years after this transmission was first introduced. I have lost count of the number of revised torque converters, different fluid formulations, and flashes they have issued so far in their failed attempts to address the torque converter shudder issue.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I know these connectors have been an issue and one of my farmer neighbors had this issue with injector connectors on both of his 2017 Denalis; fortunately he was on top of things and got them to closely examine the connector instead of replacing the injector.

Unfortunately GM moves pretty slowly these days on resolving issues but hopefully they get a handle on this injector issue soon. I recently looked at the most recent copy of the TSB for the AFM induced torque converter shudder for the 8L45/8L90 8 speed transmissions (used in everything from compact Cadillacs through full size gas powered trucks and SUVs) which were introduced for model year 2015 and the latest word is they will have a "final" solution sometime in first quarter of 2019 nearly 5 years after this transmission was first introduced. I have lost count of the number of revised torque converters, different fluid formulations, and flashes they have issued so far in their failed attempts to address the torque converter shudder issue.

GM, moving slow, can't fix sh!t, dam, how long did it take to fix a steering shaft knock?

·
Registered
208 Posts
It took 8 months to get a computer update on the infamous "service engine" issues with the early 2017s.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts