Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
32k miles on 2017 Denali 2500
Cruising along and dash lights up with SEL and traction control light. Went into low power mode but would still run but..... any throttle would result in MASSIVE shaking. The motor mounts on these engines are incredible. Made it back to the dealer and they said it’s a six hour job. Glad I was near home as this would have been even more of a pain. This injector going out without any warning has me seriously thinking about the other 7 when on long trips.....

·
Registered
208 Posts
These trucks are incredibly complex. As I have learned the dealers and even GM struggle with that.
When they are running great, you can't beat them. Hope they get you back running soon.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Parts fail so that doesn't bother me but if this design is back to six hours to replace a single injector there is a problem. Injector access/replacement was an issue with the original LB7 with its failure prone injectors but later iterations not only greatly improved injector reliability but also made replacement fairly simple.

I hope the L5P wasn't a step backwards with injector access and from the engine photos and diagrams I have seen the access isn't bad so hopefully your dealer is mistaken.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Find out what injector is bad and call another dealer what the Hr. time to replace and see if it's actually a six hour job. All dealers should have the same time per job. That way you'll know if there BSing you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If I remember, the old Lb7 injectors was a 15 hour job. But that was both sides. I think later they reduced that.
Is it under warranty?

·
Registered
266 Posts
GM dropped the warranty pay time to 8 hours on the LB7 (all 8) but from what I have seen that is about 2 hours shy of what it typically takes. For the LBZ it isn't much more difficult than changing spark plugs and an owner with decent skills could do all 8 in 3 hours. So I would be very surprised if it is anywhere close to 6 hours for a single injector on a L5P because I think GM very much learned a lesson after the warranty costs incurred with the LB7 (a combination of a flawed injector design and difficult replacement including removing the valve covers to get to them).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Service managers own words...I’m very surprised that there was only a couple of these injectors in the south east.... I said why and he said that that’s an indication that they are having to replace quite a few...
Anyone out there with over 30k miles??? Sound off

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
There is an L5P on another site that is over 100,000 miles.

It had to change an injector very close to the 100,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
334 Posts
An injector on bank 1 pays 6.4 hours, an injector on bank 2 pays 5.5 hours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s all under warranty so who cares. It’s the time and inconvenience of the next 7 injectors that have me worried. I could care less if it was a 20 hr job

·
Registered
266 Posts
The time it takes for these matters because it makes a difference how long you can be stranded without your truck on a trip and it means a very big difference in cost of replacement out of warranty. But most disappointing is it is a big step backward from the easy to change injectors starting with the LBZ redesign.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 18 is getting #5 replaced right now. Said I will get it back tomorrow.
Only 4k on the truck... disappointment to say the least. I have had several dmax's, the only one that ever ate injectors was my lb7. Hope this isn't a sign of more to come.
Ran great until you put a trailer on it. Then it was like a dodge...lol (dog) My LML would run circles around this one.

Reactions: WOJO 1

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.... I'll keep my 08 with just shy of 250k miles with oem injectors:cool:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
While there's nothing wrong with an 08 (I've had one) there's NO COMPARISON with the power, torque, comfort, quietness, interior styling and extras in the 2016 and later models. Worrying about an injector failure isn't a good reason to stay with an 08, sorry.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I had one go bad on my 06 at 100k miles or so, the rest are still going fine at 270k miles.
It happens, I wouldn’t worry about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2018 L5P 117 Miles Injector 3 Problems

Just took delivery of my 2018 Chevy 2500 LTZ L5P. I put 60 miles on the truck before the CEL came on after I hit the remote start from a restaurant celebrating my new truck as I was leaving. Upon getting in the truck and getting my key in the ignition, I noticed the CEL on. Pushed the OnStar button and the lady gave me 3 codes. P01D0, P01Da, P02DA. After speaking to a local performance Diesel shop, they are almost positive #3 injector is stuck open. Was able to drop off my truck this afternoon and was told by the service writer I would get an update in the morning. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
ok,so maybe 3 inj's on trucks that have been out for 2+ years,and maybe 100,000 made

sounds ok to me,parts fail,,

there are probably 10+ l5p trucks around me,and 9 work for a living-pulling trailers and construction equipment

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update

So heard back from the dealer. #3 and #8 injectors are bad and are being replaced. Of course they are not stocked so now playing the waiting game. Asked what would cause them go bad within 120 miles of new. Service writer had no comment.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Wow, maybe ONE bad injector would be an isolated case, but TWO could mean there's a wide ranging issue. If there is a big problem it will soon be obvious.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts