Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new user, and first want to say that overall I am happy with my 2001 2500hd Duramax and Allison. That being said, I had to replace the Allison at 44,000 because of continually going into fail safe when it shifted from 4th to 5th, but sometimes other gears also. My new problem is a little different, sometimes, but especially when towing, my truck will just loose power for several seconds, and after that it will again run fine, this happens in no particular gear, but more often when towing up a hill. Besides annoying, it is extremely dangerous, as most of the hills in San Diego County that we take to the desert are one lane. My trailer weighs between 10,000 and 11,000 depending on how loaded. I have been told injectors by other people (ATS transmissions), but since mine are not leaking the dealer can't find anything wrong. If I install a performance software such as hypertech, the truck is almost undriveable as it loses power very often, several times within 10 miles. I had the transmission built specifically for additional power, but I can't even use the power I now have. I have ATS's kit, converter, and trans-go, but my installer is having difficulty programming because of the loss of power. They also believe that it is some sort of fuel pressure loss, or fuel shutoff. I hope someone else has experienced this, and has a possible repair fix. Thank you

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I had a car do that because the screen at the carb was plugged with rust. It was hard to find. Maybe a pickup at the tank is partially plugged or the fule filter is partially plugged. Maybe a loose wire to something.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is the MIL or check engine light coming on at all? Has anyone checked to see if there are any codes set?

ON edit I see it's an 01. the early 01's were prone to false overboost codes (drastic power reduction, engine will not rev over 2000 rpm for maybe 30 secd or so). also the earlier 01's intake was plumbed into the fender which could result in water/slush injestion and clogged air filter and power loss. The cure for overboost was a reflash. The cure for the intake was to remove the snorkel from the air box and cover the hole in the inner fender with thick silver type of tape.Edited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
thorco69 said:
I am a new user, and first want to say that overall I am happy with my 2001 2500hd Duramax and Allison. That being said, I had to replace the Allison at 44,000 because of continually going into fail safe when it shifted from 4th to 5th, but sometimes other gears also. My new problem is a little different, sometimes, but especially when towing, my truck will just loose power for several seconds, and after that it will again run fine, this happens in no particular gear, but more often when towing up a hill. Besides annoying, it is extremely dangerous, as most of the hills in San Diego County that we take to the desert are one lane. My trailer weighs between 10,000 and 11,000 depending on how loaded. I have been told injectors by other people (ATS transmissions), but since mine are not leaking the dealer can't find anything wrong. If I install a performance software such as hypertech, the truck is almost undriveable as it loses power very often, several times within 10 miles. I had the transmission built specifically for additional power, but I can't even use the power I now have. I have ATS's kit, converter, and trans-go, but my installer is having difficulty programming because of the loss of power. They also believe that it is some sort of fuel pressure loss, or fuel shutoff. I hope someone else has experienced this, and has a possible repair fix. Thank you
Any good dealer should be able to properly trouble shot with a Tech II ... Pull any and all power enhancers from the vehicle, other then the tranny of course ... Sounds to me you should have no trouble duplicating ... Call make a specific appointment with the shop foreman service manager or tech if your lucky .... Tell them your willing to pay the deductible and ask if they will take a ride and take some Tech II snap shots ...

Let us know what happens, as there are plenty of 01 trucks around ...

My truck would throw a Map sensor code, I knew why each time had to do with unplugging a pressure VA box but leaving the PITA Map sensor hooked up, and it has those similar problems .... Would throw a SES every time tho ....

Good Luck

Mac

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mackin,

Thank you for your response. My truck has not given any codes, or any other diagnostic help. It is now at the dealer being towed this morning. It turns out according to Chevrolet, if my year Duramax is parked up hill for a few days, sometimes all the gas runs out of the system, and won't reprime itself. I had this fixed once, but it looks like it will need to be fixed again. I do not understand the deductible payment, what is it. I will do anything to get this resolved, as this is the desert season in Southern California, and need my truck to tow my trailer. If it is not resolved soon and drivable, I am going to purchase a Dodge HO Cummins. I know that each manufacturer has its problems, I am very unhappy with Chevy's response, downtime, and quality of training.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I had the same problem.... overboost code and MAF. Temporary loss of power under load. Slowly came back when I let off the throttle. It did not always throw a code.

They reflashed it but it did not help. Juice fixed it.

Wonder if your tranny was fine but the NSBU (nuetral switch) or the TCM (computer) was at fault?Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a new ATS trans and converter($6700), so I do not know if any computer problem. Since I am new to this, my question is what is Juice, and why did it clear your problem.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Edge Products makes a power box called the Juice. WOW... you got $6700 in your trans and you never heard of the Juice? It's also sold as the BD EZ-AMP.

From what I was told, the Juice programming overrides the overboost sensor. I run the 90hp version. Plug and Play... four power levels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume the Juice boosts power differently than Hypertech. With the Hypertech the truck isn't really driveable. Do they guarantee their product to work.?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
thorco69 said:
I assume the Juice boosts power differently than Hypertech. With the Hypertech the truck isn't really driveable. Do they guarantee their product to work.?
Juice is a no brainer. Plugs in..... no reprogramming of your ecm. Handles your transmission shifting beautifully when you run full power. You will find the guys running big power start with the Juice Comp Attitude (145 hp) then add on a programmer style also (called stacking). These guys are laying 500 rear wheel hp down. Michael Tomac has your tranny upgrade and has broken the 12 sec quarter mile.
Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
thorco69 said:

Oh the Juice will work, quite well as a matter of fact .... I hope that price you refer on the ATS was installed ....

The deductible I referred to is in reference to you have gone beyond the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty coverage as reported above in your original post .... The motor is still under warranty covered under a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty, which ever occurs first .... With this coverage a $100 dollar deductible applies ....

Mac

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must say I appreciate all the information and help from people on this subject. I certainly did not expect this kind of response, nor this soon. I talked to BD and explained my problem, along with the possible over boost issue, their tech department told me they had not heard anything about this, nor did they think their "Juice" would help. They believe that I must have a sensor or relay, etc that is telling the engine/computer to shut gas off for a period of time. Their suggestion is to work with Chevrolet first to resolve the problem. Since it is there, I will give them one more try, but I am not hopefull.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had this exact same problem on a 1997 GM diesel. It turned out to be the fuel pump starting to go out slightly. It only happened on the hwy once in awhile for a long time until one day it just gave out............New fuel pump & the problem was solved.

·
Registered
369 Posts
thorco69 said:
I have a new ATS trans and converter($6700), so I do not know if any computer problem. Since I am new to this, my question is what is Juice, and why did it clear your problem.

Why would you put a $6700 ATS tranny in almost stock truck (exhaust and intake mods only)?????????? Most guys are almost doubling the stock HP before they have added a full ATS tranny.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Initially I had a Bully Dog system in my truck, then began having transmission problems, Chevy diagnosed the reason for the trans problem was the additional hp, this was confirmed with a courtesy inspection by Allison in San Diego. It only got worse, so I installed the ATS setup which offers more trans torque and adjustability, and rated to withstand 600 hp with a 75,000 warranty. At the same time I installed hypertechs software. Immediately began having problems, the same as before with the truck, but only much worse. ATS sent one of their tech people to san diego, set the trans up, and told me that I was actually having two different problems, the trans slipping, and loss of power problem. By the way, ATS has offered to refund all my money if I am not happy and can't get the truck straightened out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received my truck back from the dealer today telling me there was nothing they could do. The problem didn't happen enough to use the TECH 2, and I was told that the little black box recording device couldn't be programmed unless they new what to program it for. When a suggestion was made by the mechanic to the dealership that we reinstall the Hypertech software which causes the loss of power quite freqently, thus pointing him in the right direction, the dealer wouldn't allow him to do it. They said the Chevrolet factory rep said no......Thanks for the help Chevrolet, I had a new 2004 LLY being transferred to this dealer and I was going to pick it up on Saturday. Fat Chance, I will contact another dealer and find out if they are interested in fixing a problem that is covered under warranty and sell a new truck at the same time. The mechanic was apologetic and helpfull, but he is the low man on the totem pole. I quess I will have to find out my problem some other way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts