Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the long thread post, I am new to the forum and have issues that I do not know how to solve. 2004.5 LLY, 2500HD, 110K miles, K&N intake, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust, BullyDog outlook monitor, BullyDog triple dog programmer, ProComp leveling kit, BFG 285 A/Ts, ARB front bumper with Warn 12k winch.

1) While attempting to accelerate onto the freeway, I had NO power. RPM gage went up slightly and the turbo never spooled up. Eventually the turbo spun up and kicked in and truck took off. I observed lots of black smoke from pipe. I do have 3 EGR codes in. I also have a block plate and finger stick ready to install. Do I have a possible turbo issue? or would the block plate fix the issue? or do I need to pull the EGR, clean/fix it and then install the block plate? or is there something else?

2) Brand new and stock I was getting 450-500 miles/tank. After programmer, intake and exhaust install, I was getting ~375-450 miles/tank with a lot more power. Now, I am getting <300 miles/tank. I do have a P0101 code in. the MAF sensor has been cleaned, twice in the past 2 weeks. Fuel filter has been replaced. I run an injector cleaner/cetane booster every other tank. Suggestions?

3) Just replaced all 8 glow plugs and have a P0670 code. I have checked just about all of the wires and connections. They are good, from what I can see. will this module code have an effect on performance or just replace it anyway?

4) About to replace the ball joints, again. Is it normal for me to replace them twice at 110K?

I flashed the computer back to stock, but still have the Outlook monitor installed, since my inst cluster does not function correctly. (completely resets itself frequently, tach not work, speedo not always working, light bulbs out, etc...)

I feel that the engine is too 'young' to be having big issues. Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention the rough idle. Normal engine idle is 693. Mine is usually 660-693 and will sometimes go from 660-723. it never goes out of these bands. I do not know what to look at.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does it "lope" like it has a cam? Mine does this but only once it's warmed up. I can't figure out for the life of me what it is. I have the EGR codes, but I have mine deleted. No other codes on mine.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I hate to say it...but if you replaced all eight glow plugs because of a P0670 code you just wasted money on eight glow plugs. The P0670 code is telling you that the glow plug control module is shot and that needs to be replaced...not the plugs.

The black smoke equals lots of fuel and not enough air. I'm guessing your EGR valve is shot if you said you have EGR codes. More than likely its stuck open and you're not building any boost because its going straight into the intake. Get that blocker plate in there and you'll notice a big difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the computer back to 100% stock and most of the issues are gone. I still have 2 of them. 1) the glow plug module...I will order a new one shortly.

the biggest concern...2) rough idle. 660-up to 720. it will get so bad that it will rock the truck from side to side. I have yet to conduct a simple injector test, but any suggestions would be helpful. I have NO codes for anything except the glow plug module.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you are getting a maf code the rough idle may be caused by that .. forgot to plug mine back in once and my truck went nuts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
If your truck is surging and its not throwing a code of any sort that would explain it, more than likely its your fuel pressure regulator. Not uncommon for most trucks to go through at least one in its life.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
X2 on the Fuel Pressure Regulator... I had the same issue and replaced the FPR and the problem was solved!

·
Registered
346 Posts
If your truck is surging and its not throwing a code of any sort that would explain it, more than likely its your fuel pressure regulator. Not uncommon for most trucks to go through at least one in its life.
X2 on the Fuel Pressure Regulator... I had the same issue and replaced the FPR and the problem was solved!
X3...

Common problem on these. You won't believe how smooth it will idle after replacement. I avoided replacing mine for a couple of years... Dumb. It immediately cured my surging issues and rough idle.

Gar

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help. I ended up replacing the FPR and that took care of the surges.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update and throwing more codes

sorry that it has been a while on this thread, but I got updates.

I replaced the glowplug module, so P0670 is no longer an issue. As for the other items originally posted...I still have this issues on and off. Will be replacing all the turbo boots shortly.

Current codes: P0046, P0101, P0299, P0401, P0404, P1404, P1621, P2227.

These are what shows up when I start having the loss of power problems. I have check the wires, so far so good. I currently have a new boost and MAP sensor ready to install. P0101 will normally go away after I clean the MAF.

As for the EGR codes....I was going to remove and clean the EGR, then reinstall the block and finger stick. Good idea? Truck is a FE09 model, but resides in CA. Would like to do something similar to the PCV reroute due to evidence of oil residue all around the area.

For P0046, I have read that it is either my VPS or sticking vanes. I do not have a scanner that can read live vane position. Is there a way to narrow down which one it is, with limited equipment? I do know that for the past week everything has worked great, even got almost 29psi boost at one point, and I could feel it. I plan on removing and cleaning the solenoid shortly, to see if that helps. Suggestions?

P1621...I do not know how to correct. I have removed the tuner completely and still get the code off and on. Basically there is no change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you replaced the mouthpiece? It could be that the turbo isn't getting enough air. I have an LLY and it acted like it had an exhaust brake on it. So I put an S&B mouthpiece on it. My mpgs went up and it runs quite too. Huge improvement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the mouthpiece a long time ago, well before this happened.

I just removed and cleaned the egr. Also fixed a minor coolant leak at same time. Egr was oily and sooted up. It took all day soaking in order to clean it up. We will see what happens now.

·
Administrator
15,963 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts