Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of posts of members losing prime but mine has a variation. Instead of the usual start and then die that most have, mine starts and idles, even runs fine but every now and then it starts to stutter and die while driving. This is happening while it is about 20F out and I am on the highway or on the gas. The other night I couldnt get my truck over 65. If I gave it more than 1/2 throttle it would fall on its face. I pulled over, shut it off and pumped up the primer. It was better after this but this cant be normal. The filter is about 7K/4months old and there is no apperent leaks on or around the bleeder screw. I took it out and inspected it, replaced it with some silicone grease around the o ring. This is a perplexing problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it? The filter or the screw?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Make sure the water drain is tight. If a little loose, it won't drip fuel, but it will suck air under load and cause a stumble. Don't ask how I know!

Hall

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prime fixed...hopefully

After dealing with this problem continually at 20F or below I think I finally have it narrowed down to a fuel issue. I went up north this last weekend in below zero conditions and had the problem right away. I stopped at an open Chevy dealer and the guy put a vacuum gauge on the line. It showed 25+lbs pull! He told me more than likely the fuel filter was clogged up even though I only had 30 gal of fuel thru it so thinking it was more likely gelled up I went across the street and bought some 911 degeller. After 10 miles of running that I stopped and put a piece of cardboard in front of the fuel radiator and pumped the primer up. Viola! No more issues even down to -25F. I have been using Amsoil Cold Flow Improver until now, since I am a dealer but no more! They may be the best for oil but their anti gel leaves something to be desired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.