Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed my fuel filter an WIF sensor first the message board stated water in fuel filter drove a few miles truck **** off only way to restart was to prime, the truck is starting to shut off sooner an have to prime to restart, will sit an idle all day long if that helps any

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
So I changed my fuel filter an WIF sensor first the message board stated water in fuel filter drove a few miles truck **** off only way to restart was to prime, the truck is starting to shut off sooner an have to prime to restart, will sit an idle all day long if that helps any
Welcome to DieselPlace

Please tell us about the vehicle ( Year, Make, Model ) and list all mods
(y)

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
2007.5 durmax 2500 HD 6.6 everything looks to be stock other than the egr delete,just bought truck few weeks ago
Did you use an OEM filter and WIF sensor?

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
Yes an I got a feeling the plastic bleeder screw might be leaking could that be the issue
The bleed screw is one entry source for air and the other is the fuel filter head.
I would rebuild or replace the filter head next

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bleed screw is one entry source for air and the other is the fuel filter head.
Thank you I just went an got a bleeder screw it broke off in it , saw it bubbling try to tighten an it broke
I can say when I losen the first time the little oring seal stayed stuck to the fuel filter assembly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I bubbled the assembly it’s got a air leak around the fuel filter where the gasket sits I’ve taken off cleaned an out back on some reason it keeps leaking there gasket brand new an looks to be seated right

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
So I bubbled the assembly it’s got a air leak around the fuel filter where the gasket sits I’ve taken off cleaned an out back on some reason it keeps leaking there gasket brand new an looks to be seated right
The gasket could be faulty or just not seated enough against the head

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I lost prime once last summer in 115+ heat. It hasn't happened again since, but it did hiccup starting on the hottest day yet this year at 113 degrees. I have a new OEM filter head on the shelf ready to go, complete with a new filter. I "think" the high heat is exposing a crack in the filter head plastic. Just a guess. But it held prime all fall, winter and spring. Only showing up again in high heat with that one hiccup. Could just be a coincidence. I purchased the new OEM filter head from a dealer last summer, but said I was gonna wait 'til it did it again as the filter was too new and I wanna "know" better wtf is happening. No apparent exterior leaks. A newish brass bleeder and a newish WIF.

·
Registered
1997 GMC K3500 dually 4L80 4x4
64 Posts
most The blue ac delco filters have a defect where the plastic stick in the middle of the filter is off center. It's supposed to go up and push open a valve as you spin it on, but if it's not in the center of the hole, it misses. The white filters are built different, have the same part number and don't have that problem. We've had wix filters and they have been okay. Good luck.

Mac

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
most The blue ac delco filters have a defect where the plastic stick in the middle of the filter is off center. It's supposed to go up and push open a valve as you spin it on, but if it's not in the center of the hole, it misses. The white filters are built different, have the same part number and don't have that problem. We've had wix filters and they have been okay. Good luck.

Mac
FWIW, except for the new filter head - which I have yet to install - all my fuel filters are and always have been the old white Racor ones. So that particular issue I have yet to experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I have a LMM I changed the fuel filter an sensor truck is losing prime when I drive if it idles or I just revv it’s normally fine but sometimes it will lose prime revving but never at idle I put my finger on the inlet side of fuel filter housing an try an prime an it feels like it has suction an the suction stays for quite a while an idea any idea what’s going on an what are some things I can try an do

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
So I have a LMM I changed the fuel filter an sensor truck is losing prime when I drive if it idles or I just revv it’s normally fine but sometimes it will lose prime revving but never at idle I put my finger on the inlet side of fuel filter housing an try an prime an it feels like it has suction an the suction stays for quite a while an idea any idea what’s going on an what are some things I can try an do
So have you addressed the fuel filter leak issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So have you addressed the fuel filter leak issue?
Yes I have that fixed took it all apart cleaned the gasket an it sealed but for some reason it’s still losing prime
Any ways to test to see if the fuel pump is losing suction while it’s running ?

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
Yes I have that fixed took it all apart cleaned the gasket an it sealed but for some reason it’s still losing prime
Any ways to test to see if the fuel pump is losing suction while it’s running ?
If you mean the CP3, you would need a scanner that can read live data like a Tech II.
You would need to see desired vs. actual fuel pressures

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you mean the CP3, you would need a scanner that can read live data like a Tech II.
You would need to see desired vs. actual fuel pressures
So update I connected the inlet fuel line back to the housing an took the bleeder screw out primed again an now it’s not shutting off but it’s bogging down while driving

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
So update I connected the inlet fuel line back to the housing an took the bleeder screw out primed again an now it’s not shutting off but it’s bogging down while driving
Any codes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can tell you from experience it is probably the o-ring around the fuel filter head. We had issues with our 2003 2500 Silverado Duramax diesel just like that. After shutting it off, it didn't want to start and we would have to prime it. Took it to a great diesel mechanic in Buena Vista, CO, Ron's Diesel Dogs, and he rebuilt the fuel filter housing and no problems since.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You could still have a hairline crack in the filter housing or could be the the seals under the primer.
You mention that it bogs down, have you checked your fuel lines to see if any of those have collapsed ?
Be sure to check the rubber lines at the quick disconnect at the firewall on the driver side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts