Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a Lopey idle when the engine is hot it's probably a bad pump/regulator, and a lopey idle only when it's cold is usually just a software flash. Since new, my truck has had an intermittent, slightly lopey idle when it's partially warm. When it's fully warm it's fine.

I had the software reflash last year and it made it much better. However, I still get the slight lope sometimes before it's fully warmed up. When I had the reflash, the dealer told me my pump and regulator was fine. I have also heard a lope +/- 50 rpm is considered normal, and mine is very likely in that range.

Is this something I should be concerend about? Taking it to the dealer is a hassle because I'll have to take off my secondary fuel filter, so I don't want to make an unnecessary trip.

BlaineEdited by: afp1

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mine went from that to the hot lopey idle in time.

Don't sweat it. When you get your act together, get it replaced. Mine idles perfect now all the time.

·
Diesel Master
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hoot,

It's going to have to get a lot worse than it is for them to fix it, and it has not got worse in the 22K/20 months I have owned it. My understanding was that several '01s had a bad pump, but in '02 that had been solved.

How long did it take for yours to go from a very slight lope when partially warm to a lope when hot, and how bad was the hot idle lope?

Blaine

·
Registered
463 Posts
My '02 has a lopey idle when the engine is cold also. It has done it almost from day one and I now have 20k miles on it. It is not noticible on the tach, but it is obvious to the ear.

Should I have the reflash or is this a normal thing that I should not worry about?

Once it reaches the normal operating temperature, the lope disappears.

I bought the truck in september 2001 if that makes any difference.

Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts