Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm pretty new to the sight and I have had some problems with my 2001 2500HD D-Max nothing too crazy but today I noticed that my Park neutral, reverse,1,2,3, lights on my dash are not working. What the Censored !

It shifts fine and everything seems to be ok, any ideas?

I know that my last Chevy pickup was a 1999 1500 gas job but I had similiar problems and it turned out to be ignition switch.

Help.

2001 2500HD D-Max 101,400 miles and counting.:grd:

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Could be the NSBU (Nuetral Safety Back up) switch. http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27740

It could also be the ignition switch but I think you would have other problems.

Could also be the display itself is burnt out.

Does it not light up at all or does it just not show what gear it is in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea NSBU for sure, get it fixed before it leaves you stranded like mine!!!
What are you telling me it's not going to run??

And it's not cheap ,hard to find and I'm over my warranty!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
It's not too hard to change. It is outside the transmission, there are a few tricks to it but nothing major.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
yes its pretty easy. i hags off the side of the tranny near the rear. its fairly easy to get to lying on a creeper.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you check the 2 weather pac connectors.The most common cause of faillure is a grease they added to the conn. that melts to the conn. and if you don't replace the 2 pigtails it may do it again or may not go back together.(The dealer carries the pigtails)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the input :ro)

I just ordered the part NSBU from the web site that you recomended
will get it in a week , I'll let you know if this does it.

Thanks again:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, guys this is great i think you just saved me from going into depression. I'll know more after replacing the NSBU. Mine happened after spending the day in deep snow that was the Shift indicator, Shifting problems started on the second day.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The 01 and 02 and some early 03 had a older style NSBU switch that would let water get in and screw it up, the newer ones seem to work better.

And the 06 moved the switch to inside the tranny to protect it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts