Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Registered
6,567 Posts
The 48 volts might be a move towards the newer electrical systems coming down the road. I beleive They are moving towards 48 v systems throughout. It means they can go with smaller wire. I don't think it has anything to do with heat.

As far as damage to the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module)is concerned....

If going from vacuum to pressure is a concern that would lead me to believe the FICM might be sensitive to fuel breach? Maybe it was not designed for a pressure system. I don't see where 1 or 2 psi would create a heat problem.Edited by: hoot

· Registered
35 Posts
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but aren't the new Cummins and Ford diesels using HPCR systems? Are those guys reporting any injector problems? IIRC, isn't Dodge adding an extra fuel filter?

· Registered
6,567 Posts
Dodge is using HPCR, Ford is not.

The issue is not neccessarily HPCR itself. It's the pressures that are higher than those of years ago. All modern diesels are going to these 25,000-30,000 psi pressures. The problem is designing the most vunerable parts to withstand thousands of hours of use under these pressures.

Getting the dirt out is a major step in the right direction.

I notice one major thing in dmaxalliTech's report....

They acknowledge the problem.

· Registered
40 Posts
DMaxDave

Were you able to find the part number and info on the upgraded or different OEM replacement filter. Ideally I would just want a better filter in the existing hardware.

· Registered
309 Posts
Most of it sounds pretty straight forward to me: "contamination and water" is the main cause of failure. Glad they settled the lift pump question.

But were the hairline cracks mentioned due to manufacturing defects in samples of the injectors, or, caused by the contamination/water weakening them by eroding and corroding the injectors?

If he admitted the OEM was junk it'd be providing grounds for a recall - something I'm sure he doesn't want to be help personally responsible for triggering.

dmaxalliTech said:
... I asked him why he thought that injectors were failing and he said contamination and water. Hearing that I come to the conclusion out loud that the oem filter setup is junk, he didnt like that at all. Biggest problem he is seeing is customers not changing the fuel filter often enough. He stuck with the 15k rule on them.

· Registered
277 Posts
Steve_in_SEMich said:

The bad news is that while it may surprise many about GM's response to dmaxalliTech, all domestic automakers suffer from the same ailment - The Financial Staff runs the manufacturing. Regardless of the impact on customers, most management discussions start with "how much will this cost", instead of what's the best vehicle we can make.

While I agree with the statement that Finance runs the company, there's NO way that GM would lose any money if they IMPROVED the filter.

Look, that OEM filter costs $40 right now. That thing does NOT cost GM more than $5 to buy. That's a total of $35 profit throughout the entire orginization. If they were to improve the filter, it would NOT double the cost of the filter. If they upped the price another $5, they'd still be making money hand over fist.

GM's replacement part costs are just simply outrageous, so there's no way that they would lose any money. In fact, they would most likely be money ahead, by NOT having to pay out warranty.

cadman_ksEdited by: CADman_ks

· Registered
277 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
.... He stuck with the 15k rule on them. ....
'

The 15K brings up another point.

When I bought my truck, the supplemental manual indicates that I'm supposed to change the filter every 30K. I have since learned, thru forums like this, that GM is now saying every 15K.

I have NEVER received anything from GM in writing that says that I should be changing the filter every 15K. IF I did all of my own maintainence, how would I ever know that I was supposed to be changing this filter in HALF the recommended time?

Has anyone gotten anything in writing from GM stating that they should be changing their filter every 15K? I don't see how GM could/can be holding that against owner's. The owner's are simply doing what their owner's manual says to.

cadman_ks

· Registered
1,301 Posts
cadman-ks, I see you drive an 02 as I do so you should have the same Duramax Diesel Supplement service manual. If you will look on the right side of page 7-5 under the 15K service schedule you will see it says to change the fuel filter. It states the same thing on page 7-7. Later! Frank

· Registered
277 Posts
Frank,

I'll have to check that out. I hadn't noticed that.

cadman_ks

· Registered
3,338 Posts
I change my fuel filter every 20,000 miles, and will continue doing so as long as I see no problems. However; I did add the Racor 660 secondary fuel filter (up on driver side of engine) with the 2 micron filter.

Only time will tell. 41,400+ and counting!

· Registered
394 Posts
Regarding 'where do the hairline cracks originate?" Attached is a scanning electron microscope photo of a Bosch injector which failed at 90,000 miles; cause, 25/23/21 ISO diesel fuel.
A very graphic example of what is taking place in terms of particulate erosion of the tip.
George Morrison

· Registered
5,934 Posts
excellent photo Geroge!

thanks

· Registered
989 Posts
OK George,,,

We are all well educated on the need for fuel cleanliness here at the Diesel Place (thanks in the most part to you!). Everyone who is (or will be) running a Cat, Racor or Baldwin supplemental filter has at least ISO 15/13/10 fuel going to their injectors.

What does a 90,000 mile Bosch injector look like under ISO 15/13/10 conditions?

Just curious,

Alan

· Registered
277 Posts
CADman_ks said:
....When I bought my truck, the supplemental manual indicates that I'm supposed to change the filter every 30K. I have since learned, thru forums like this, that GM is now saying every 15K.....

I apologize. I did look at my manual, and it does state every 15K. I had actually never looked at the fuel filter requirements in the manual. My servicing dealer said something to me like "It says 30K in the manual, but they've changed that to 15K now". I never checked him out on it. I'll guess I'd better pay more attention.

cadman_ks

· Registered
21 Posts
George:

Would you possibly have a shot through the electron microscope of a new injector. Also, I have used stanadyne since day 1, not because I don't respect your opinion or knowledge but instead am concerned because of GM specifically stating stanadyne is acceptable to use. I'm running the 2 micron racor 660 between my transferflow and main tank and only fill the transferflow tank. I'm at 11,000 miles right now and will change the stock filter very soon. At that time I'll cut it open and see what kind of surprises there are. Would love to visit with you someday and really do appreciate your efforts.

You too Eric!

· Registered
394 Posts
I am sorry but I do not have a new injector SEM photo for comparison. Trashed injectors are easy to come by; new are not! If someone has a new injector to lend me for a short time, I could get the same shot for comparison. All I have in my library are SEM's of failed injectors. However, they are all variations of the same lunar landscapes: whether they are CAT, Cummins, or Detroit. And no 15/13/10 ISO or better fueled injectors as, again, no failures in those engines..
George MorrisonEdited by: Georgecls

· Registered
745 Posts
hoot said:
The 48 volts might be a move towards the newer electrical systems coming down the road. I beleive They are moving towards 48 v systems throughout. It means they can go with smaller wire. I don't think it has anything to do with heat.

Actually Hoot, cutting the voltage in half will roughly double the current, which can cause more heat. I don't know what the current draw presently is, but I am assuming it is very low to start with(milliamps perhaps?). It all depends on what the wire is rated for and what amperage is being drawn now.

· Registered
487 Posts
While most, if not all of us here are very meticulous about servicing our trucks, most folks are not. Example: I sold a 1998 2500 4X4, 5.7L truck to a friend of mine. It had 26K on it, when he took possession. He has not followed any of the service recommendations or requirements, other than changing the oil. It has 65K on it's odometer, and he has not serviced the transmission yet, even though when it approached 50K, I told him he should get it serviced. He did not change the fuel filter either, which is recommended at 30K. The other day the truck quit on him, and you guessed it, plugged fuel filter.

Now, I am not singling out any specific group, but your average joe that owns a Duramax is probably NOT changing his filter at 15K, or even 30K and therefore we are seeing all these problems. I would venture to say most people would not even think of the fuel filter, until the truck quits running.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.