Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
309 Posts
Thanks for representing us owners to those GM engineers and asking all the right questions that we have been struggling to get firmly resolved.

It sounds like we are defintely on the right track with secondary filtration and minimizing fuel contamination.

Really appreciate it.

· Registered
309 Posts
Most of it sounds pretty straight forward to me: "contamination and water" is the main cause of failure. Glad they settled the lift pump question.

But were the hairline cracks mentioned due to manufacturing defects in samples of the injectors, or, caused by the contamination/water weakening them by eroding and corroding the injectors?

If he admitted the OEM was junk it'd be providing grounds for a recall - something I'm sure he doesn't want to be help personally responsible for triggering.

dmaxalliTech said:
... I asked him why he thought that injectors were failing and he said contamination and water. Hearing that I come to the conclusion out loud that the oem filter setup is junk, he didnt like that at all. Biggest problem he is seeing is customers not changing the fuel filter often enough. He stuck with the 15k rule on them.

· Registered
309 Posts
In case someone missed it, the below was straight from the horse's mouth...DuramaxalliTech speaking with GM engineers, posted 10/14/03.

dmaxalliTech said:
... I showed him the Mega and the Racor setup and he was familier with both of them.. I asked him about cavitation/air in system and its potential problems, he said there is none whatso ever and that some air should be expected in system. He mentioned the clean line test and a perfect operating system will have bubbles....

... When mentioning lift pumps, his biggest concern was damage to the FICM, not damage to the HPP as I would have thought. I told him we only run at about 1-2 psi, just enough to put system under pressure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.