Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
487 Posts
dmaxalliTech wrote:The problem they feel is that the injectors are developing hairline cracks that may not show up until high fuel pressure is developed.

Well, it would seem to me the solution would be to lower the rail pressure below the point that the cracking is occuring. I, for one would put up with slightly less power, knowing I was getting better injector life. It would be interesting to find out the pressures and duration of those pressures, that is causing the cracking.

· Registered
487 Posts
While most, if not all of us here are very meticulous about servicing our trucks, most folks are not. Example: I sold a 1998 2500 4X4, 5.7L truck to a friend of mine. It had 26K on it, when he took possession. He has not followed any of the service recommendations or requirements, other than changing the oil. It has 65K on it's odometer, and he has not serviced the transmission yet, even though when it approached 50K, I told him he should get it serviced. He did not change the fuel filter either, which is recommended at 30K. The other day the truck quit on him, and you guessed it, plugged fuel filter.

Now, I am not singling out any specific group, but your average joe that owns a Duramax is probably NOT changing his filter at 15K, or even 30K and therefore we are seeing all these problems. I would venture to say most people would not even think of the fuel filter, until the truck quits running.

· Registered
487 Posts
Another thought: Kool says they are producing around 16,500 engines a month. So for the sake of conversation let's say they have produced 36 X 16,500, or 594,000 engines to date. Figure MAYBE 10,000 people read this stuff here or at "The Page". Out of those 10K, maybe 3K have installed additonal filtering. That is about a .5 % give or take!! So if 99.5% of Duramax owners do not have additional fuel filtering..........then figure out how many of that 99.5% don't do regular maintenance, no wonder.......!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.