Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2005 cardinal 29LS,dry weight is around 9500,loaded up around 11000.it has a hitch weight of 2100 pounds.this is my first diesel truck,and first time towing anything heavy.what i really need to know is,will this truck tow this weight easy,i mean real life towing in the hills.My 2005 z71 5.3 had all it could do to tow 7000 pounds when hitting the big hills.I don't want to deal with that,with this truck.if i have to go with a smaller unit i will.thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got a 39TSG Attitude F/X toy hauler that I tow with my 3/4 ton. It actually feels better back there than my 25' toy hauler did. I run the hills of Oregon and last weekend running from Salem to eastern Oregon I got around 8 to 9 mpg.

Trailer weight is 13,xxx empty with 18,xxx loaded. 24xx lbs hitch weight. I did get airbags though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You're 5th wheel is similar to mine. Had an 01 6.0 and it had more than it could take in the mountains or in a head wind. Engine was burning oil and transmission was slipping with 30,000 miles. Traded for a 03 Duramax and it towed it through everything no problems for 90,000 miles. Traded for an 08 Duramax and it pulls stronger than the 03. Short answer, your truck will be able to pull that load anywhere, anytime.

·
Registered
64 Posts
lmm towing a 5er

I occasionally pull a 39.5 fleetwood avion, which is 4k at the hitch and 15k plus wet, pulls it very easily. Got 12.5 from Fresno California, to Glen Helen In San Bernadino. These trucks are legit, Your chances of struggling with that are zero.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You're not going to have a problem pulling in a straight line, but you're going to exceed your GVWR on pin weight. That being said, I see plenty of people doing it, but you're probably going to want air bags in the back to support the weight.

·
Professional Lurker
299 Posts
The truck will pull a mountain, more than the frame could hold up. I tow a 5'er that weighs more than yours, and it climbs hills with no problem. Took it from Southern Cal to Yellowstone last year and had no problems. Use the Tow/Haul and you will be fine. I do recommend airbags.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed the loadlifter 5000 today,tomorrow i pick up my 5th wheeler.i'm so excited i don't think i'll sleep all night.tomorrow will be my first real pull with the new truck.my last camper i had was around 7 thousand pounds,and that was a walk in the park,never even felt it back there.can someone tell me what psi i should put in the bags,the hitch weight is around 2100

·
Registered
501 Posts
You will love the power. I wen't from an 03 8.1 to my 08 DMAX and it's night and day difference. I tow a 30' 5er with 4 4x4 quads behind with no problem and there are lot's of hills here in Utah. I get 9 mpg towing with 2700 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would probably recommend about 50 psi in those bags. You can adjust up or down from there, but I'll bet you'll be happy at 50.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The bags have a max pressure, and a max load. If you are at 50% load, run 50% pressure. If you are bouncing off your overloads either put more air in, to give them clearence, or let some out to sit on them. kinda depends on how bad (bouncy) the road is. If the trailler is not sitting really close to level, it may rock front to rear (from the hitches point of view, up and down).. you may have to level it to fix the ride.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks i'll start at 50 psi,i'm off too pick it up.i'll let you know how the three hour trip went tonight:):):):):)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts