Diesel Place banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yea, it looks like it has been for sell since Feb... Also I was looking for a power windows and power locks... This one appears to have manual windows... :-(

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I have lived without power windows for 14 years and it is only 2 windows. IIRC you can just plug in and go with OEM parts. So you could find a salvage one and swap the parts in the door over, plug in and go. Probably be way cheaper than paying extra for a whole similar van.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Here is a 2010 in Spokane. This was the first year for 6 speed and it is a LMM. In 2010 diesel vans are rare because in that year they only made one if it was ordered. Might be worth checking out if it was not beat on to hard.
The 8th of VIN on it is L, which indicates LGH. VIN 6 would be LMM. There were two kinds of 2010: those built in late 2009 were LMM, those built after 01/01/2010 were LGH. If I understand correctly, 01/01/2010 was the date when new emission rules requiring DEF took effect.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The 8th of VIN on it is L, which indicates LGH. VIN 6 would be LMM. There were two kinds of 2010: those built in late 2009 were LMM, those built after 01/01/2010 were LGH. If I understand correctly, 01/01/2010 was the date when new emission rules requiring DEF took effect.
I did not look at the VIN that close. So it should be considered a 2011 not a 2010 since it was made late in the year.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I ran the Compnine report, the vehicle's build date is 2010-08-16 but is still a 2010 model year.
On the other hand, my 2016 LGH van was built 08/2015. So some random day in August the plant increments the model year.
I too, need better life choices. Why the hell do I know that ****.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
But since it is an LGH is should be designated as a 2011. I remember and thinking it was odd at the time GM said if you wanted a 2010 van with diesel you had to have your order in by like October 2009 to get one and there was no extras to made. Look at the 2020 trucks, they started making them in June/July of 2019 but they call them 2020. It is screwy with all brands since the standard for a long time was September on was considered the next year. It was a Ford/Dodge recently that had a truck/car come out in May and they called it by the next year. I was like WTH and the dealer did not understand it either. Then sometimes they call it a 1/2 year thing instead of a full next year. So now it is not safe to assume anything like I did without double checking everything to make sure. I want to go back to the old days.

Reactions: Sparkys Tacoma

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had both, 6.0 gas and now currently lgh 6.6. Both have there pluses and minuses. My 6.0 gas had almost 800,000 kilometers on it when I retired it. Never had the engine or tranny apart for any kind of repair what so ever. Only oil changes and that's it. Never even touched a injector or o2 sensor. Every morning she fired up and ran like new. I miss that van to be honest. Fuel economy was 15 in town and 19 ish on the highway at 100 kmh .

My duramax is a beast of a truck and I like it however it's far far more expensive to maintain and its noticeably heavier on the front end. You definitely can feel the weight difference between the 2 on the front. That part I dont care for.
Deleted in getting 18 in town 22 highway and diesel is much cheaper than gas right now so your saving a fair bit.

Gas engine is way easier to maintain if your a do it yourself kinda person. 30 minutes to swap out a alternator vs 2 hours on the duramax. Not a lot of room under the hood.

I like both vans but if I had to do it again I'd definitely go gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks Adrianmoe68 for sharing your experience between the gas and the diesel version!

The fuel economy you mentioned for your gas, was it with the van fully loaded or unloaded?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I averaged around 20 mpg with a full load 2000 lbs +- . Honestly that 6.0 is one of the best engines produced. When I sold my gasser with 800,000k on it the guy who bought it was transplanting it in into a race car. I guess the engines are quite popular for that sort of stuff. The guy said they are bulletproof and i agree.

I used to be a Ford guy prior and that van sold me on switching fully over to GMC on all my vehicles. I wont ever go back

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
20 mpg with a gasser and a full load is pretty good... One of the reasons I was choosing a Diesel over a gas engine was due to my Hurricane experience living in the Houston, Texas area... When the big Hurricanes hit the fuel stations run out of gas first but you were able to find fuel stations with diesel... I was worried about not finding diesel on some of my road trips across various states but so far I have seen diesel available at most every small town I have stopped to refuel in... I am leaning towards the 2.8L baby diesel since the 6.6L are starting to get hard to find and when you do find one that doesn't have a over ~150k miles on it, they are WAY over priced or the van is trashed...

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I would pick a 6.0, 5.3, or the new 6.6 gas over the 2.8

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,701 Posts
The 6.6 Gasser has been getting some great reviews
(y)

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,197 Posts
My coworker has the 5.3 and it's a dog and gets poor city mileage. High teens highway

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
My coworker has the 5.3 and it's a dog and gets poor city mileage. High teens highway
The 5.3 is not a dog and 4x4 truck guys are getting low 20 MPG. It gets better MPG than the 4.8 and 4.3 with better HP/TQ.

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,197 Posts
Shoot your right it's a 4.8 4l80e

Dog and poor mpg nevertheless. And it's only 2wd.but does carry almost 2k daily

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Shoot your right it's a 4.8 4l80e

Dog and poor mpg nevertheless. And it's only 2wd.but does carry almost 2k daily
That would be a doggy poor MPG combo.

Reactions: LCAC_Man

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The 6.6 gasser will walk all over the 2.8 for less $$$ and issues. That comparison is between the 6.6 gasser and the L5P which you cannot get in the van anyways. The 6.6 gasser is 401 HP/464 TQ vs the 2.8 181 HP/369 TQ. I know 4x4 truck guys who are getting 17 MPG on 87 octane with the 6.6 gasser.

Reactions: LCAC_Man
41 - 60 of 64 Posts