Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1993 chevy silverado c3500 crew cab dually
1,197 Posts
Different beast BUTTTTTT
I own a 3.0L diesel promaster. And the mpg is great even being as big as it is and carrying 4000 plus pounds. This is how I will offer something to compare. It is just enough as is to go up most grades without losing speed. Extended oil changes and well. Over 500 miles per tank city. Highway only over 700. 25 gallon tank. If you can drive slow the 2.8 will be better for range. Occasionally towing shouldn't hurt you much or at all on the straights. Plan to slow on the hills. That same weight in my. 93 Silverado 6.5 turbo diesel c3500 crew cab dually got me like 12/13mpg. Towing 5-7k 10 to 12 mpg. Way faster way more fun to drive. But oh that 4 cyl mpg is nice. My monthly payment is almost covered by the fuel savings. Some months it is covered. Hope that helps.

It really comes down to what is more important to you. Mpg and range or capability and fun. The baby max can make. Some good number but at cost of mpg. One guy laid down almost 400rwhp with twins and a lot of extra stuff. What's it take to get a 6.6 to 400. And oh that torque.

Good luck

Reactions: Student4Life

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep, I will initially look into a lift and bigger tires in order to get the clearance but I will hold off on the 4x4 conversion for at least a year or two in order to save up funds and to determine if I really need it based on the type of travel I have done in the van...
Suggestions: 1) If buying a new GM van get one with locking rear differential (not AWD --- true locking is the way to go) ---- it only costs a tiny bit more and is well worth it!!! 2) I suggest immediately getting a Quigley 4x4 conversion if you will be going off pavement --- you can order a new GM van with the conversion and it will provide you peace of mind when you venture out on your adventures. PS: the reason to go with Quigley is that they have a very good warranty of their own on new vans and their conversion does Not void the GM warranty.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Savanavan what is the mpg in your van? How do you use it (towing van life etc) how does it do on the really steep grades?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Savanavan what is the mpg in your van? How do you use it (towing van life etc) how does it do on the really steep grades?
Well over 20mpg all the time (mostly mid 20s). Use it towing and as offroad campervan. The transmission manages the additional gears well on steep upgrades and it goes right up ----- but I do try to drive conservatively so that the engine is not screaming for long periods because I need it to last long term.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
How much do you tow

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Decent!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Over 20 MPG towing 5-7,000# ? That is substantially more than what the 2.8 truck guys are getting.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Easy driving can help

And I think the vans are programmed more for working and towing while the truck is supposed to be more sporty and economical

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Easy driving can help

And I think the vans are programmed more for working and towing while the truck is supposed to be more sporty and economical
Same HP/TQ but trucks have 6 speed and are rated to tow 700# more than vans.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Programming means different ways of ramping up power. And the vans should carry more daily weight with tools or packages etc. Are the trans hooked in the van to a 4spd.like 4L80E?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Programming means different ways of ramping up power. And the vans should carry more daily weight with tools or packages etc. Are the trans hooked in the van to a 4spd.like 4L80E?
2.8 vans have the 8 speed.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Also the trucks weigh about 1,500# less than the van. Both have the same rear gear at 3.42.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
@ShopSpecialties - I have been out camping and I just saw your message about the 2013... Thanks for the heads up! However it looks like someone got to it before I had a chance to look at it... :-( I am in Texas area but I am willing to travel to pick up a good deal... After this last camping trip, I am going to stick with looking for a diesel... The rig setup I was in got about 10mpg and we only had a range of about 250 to 300 miles... Range is important for me so I am going to look for a setup that can at least give me 400 miles between fuel ups... When we were out on these long distance dirt roads fuel was a big thing on my mind...

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
@ShopSpecialties - I have been out camping and I just saw your message about the 2013... Thanks for the heads up! However it looks like someone got to it before I had a chance to look at it... :-( I am in Texas area but I am willing to travel to pick up a good deal... After this last camping trip, I am going to stick with looking for a diesel... The rig setup I was in got about 10mpg and we only had a range of about 250 to 300 miles... Range is important for me so I am going to look for a setup that can at least give me 400 miles between fuel ups... When we were out on these long distance dirt roads fuel was a big thing on my mind...
I figured it was gonna sell quick because it was a good deal.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Here is a 2010 in Spokane. This was the first year for 6 speed and it is a LMM. In 2010 diesel vans are rare because in that year they only made one if it was ordered. Might be worth checking out if it was not beat on to hard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks ShopSpecialties! Yeah saw that one a while back it has been for sale for a while... I was concerned about the rust that I see in some of the photos... And I think there was an accident reported against it when I ran the VIN number history... I do appreciate you sending me the link though!! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Looks like something leaked in the back and the pad probably stayed wet. Clean it up and maybe put spray or roll on bed liner on it. If it is thin that would be an easy fix since it is flat and easily accessible. The steel wheels do not look rusty so that is a good sign. I would be curious as to how serious of an accident it was in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well over 20mpg all the time (mostly mid 20s). Use it towing and as offroad campervan. The transmission manages the additional gears well on steep upgrades and it goes right up ----- but I do try to drive conservatively so that the engine is not screaming for long periods because I need it to last long term.
Thanks for the info regarding the mpg you are seeing with your van. I was wondering how mpg of the 2.8L compares with the mpg of the 6.6L

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Looking at the carfax looks like it spent all its life in Florida. Almost all service work done at a Chevy dealer. The accident was a minor front end collision with less than $500 damage. With the mileage and asking price I wonder why it has not been sold yet ? With a small tow tune and possibly some parts falling off this should be an easy 20+ MPG on the highway.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts