Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator Rather Be Fishin'
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grabbed a new multi-ball hitch for my girlfriend's "new-to-us" 1500 Silverado, and would like to grab a brake controller for it.

I haven't had an aftermarket brake controller since back in 2007 or so on my 2000 model pickup, so I'm a little out of touch with the current state of the art.

I don't expect a whole lot of towing to be done with the truck, but I'd like to have it ready when the need arises.

I prefer a proportional controller, and I'd like both an adjustable gain level and a plunger to active the brakes manually. Digital display would be nice too. Must be a plug and play setup, I don't want to have to splice wires on it.

Anyone have any feedback on suggestions on a particular model they like?

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
I had a Prodigy P2 on my LLY. It had all of the features you are looking for. adjustable gain, proportional control, 3 preset boost modes, and a manual plunger. Digital display too. Nice piece. Give it a look. Tekonsha Proportional Brake Controllers

·
Registered
320 Posts
P3 would fit the bill of what your wanting. IMO the best electric proportional controller too. If you can still find a Hydraulic brake controller made by Max Brake. Those where awesome! Pricey, but awesome. They have since gone out of business.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
LLY Guy
11,949 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Tekonsha product, I love my P3. It's been connected to more then it's fair share of trailers and never failed to make me happy in terms of adjustability and ease of use.
I know many folks with the Prodagy controller to that have been very satisfied in it's operation.

·
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info fellas. I'll do some searching today. I wonder if that is something I can pick up locally here somewhere or if I need to order it online...

·
LLY Guy
11,949 Posts
I bought mine at the local RV dealer, but it's readily available both ways.
Amazon might be your friend for this

·
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Blake. We have a camping world not far from here, and bonus, it's right next door to basspro, so I'll have an excuse to pop in there.. :)

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
Garrett, check price at etrailer.com first. That is where I got mine and the connecting cable for the truck(s).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
494 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have had good luck with Valley Odyssey Brake controller. Very flexible in mounting positions. Tekonsha Prodigy's are everywhere and are very good too.

·
Registered
916 Posts
if you are looking at the simplest system, tekonsia makes a wireless system,
the controller mts to the trailer tongue, and there is a remote that just plugs
into your cigarette lighter. Works great.

·
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. Currently leaning toward a P2 or P3. Just have to get around to finding an ordering one.

if you are looking at the simplest system, tekonsia makes a wireless system,
the controller mts to the trailer tongue, and there is a remote that just plugs
into your cigarette lighter. Works great.
I saw that, and did read up on it a bit. It sounds pretty cool, but we have a couple different trailers and it might be a pain to have multiple units or swap them over...

·
Registered
916 Posts
That would be a drag to have to remove and reattach the controller on to different trailers.
Works better for multiple tow vehicles and a single trailer. I love mine, no problems for
over a year so far.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
x1000 on the P3. Hands down the best controller I've ever owned.

·
Registered
611 Posts
P3

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
It was so convenient this morning when I unhooked the flatbed and hooked to stock trailer to haul off some calves, just change boost setting and go! Really like that P3.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Another benefit of the PIII is that it has a lifetime warranty – I did have a problem with my original one and it was a simple over-the-counter on the spot replacement at my local Tekonsha dealer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is an old thread but if anyone is looking still I agree with the P3 and etrailer.com info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts