Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in how much 2 cycle oil you mix on your fuel and if you can tell any difference in performance. I have been thinking about doing this and saw on the Diesel Page you have been doing this for a while. Do you see any more soot buildup and it there a difference in cold weather performance? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any one else with experience in this feel free to comment.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What is the reason for adding oil to diesel oil? I know why I add it to gas for two stroke applications. Later! Frank

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i'm curious too. haven't heard of that..

·
Registered
183 Posts
lubrication I suspect Maybe a good thing,maybe a bad thing.If no answers go to the man ERIC

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I am interested is for additional lubrication, because that should be a good thing. I just saw jbplock had been doing it for a while and I wanted to see if he thought it had given any benefits.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Old thinking?? Lube to help the Injector Pump?? Not sure I like the idea of adding 2 cycle oil to my fuel. There is also the theory of pre filling the fuel filter with ATF. Old thinking too. I beleive George spoke out about this in the past and thought it was a bad idea.

Maybe he'll chime in with his thoughts again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I seem to remember the same and Jim from the other side of the tracks had a comment also about it working on the 6.5 but unknown on the 6.6.Maybe not a good thing to do without knowing what you might screw up.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Blue Max said:
I am interested in how much 2 cycle oil you mix on your fuel and if you can tell any difference in performance. I have been thinking about doing this and saw on the Diesel Page you have been doing this for a while. Do you see any more soot buildup and it there a difference in cold weather performance? Thanks, Mike

BlueMax,

I started adding TCW3 2-cycle oil to my diesel fuel along with an additive several years ago after reading a TDP post by Dr. Lee. The purpose is just to add some lubrication for the pump, and since TCW3 oil is designed to burn with out ash, it shouldn’t contribute any added soot. I also can't say I have noticed a performance gain or any cold weather effects. I’m in the habit of filling up when the tank is half full so I add about 4oz of 2-cycle oil per 10-15 Gal of fuel along with Stanadyne Performance Formula. IMHO, it can’t hurt and maybe it helps the pump (a little).
(I like this Diesel-Geek Icon - It fits !!
)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey JB, thanks for the reply. I think this would be a good Idea also, I just wondered if it would set a code or something. How many miles have you been adding oil? I find the synthetic 2 stroke oil in by wheelers burns completely clean and the only problem I could think of would be a reaction with any gaskets in the pump.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Bill

Dr. Lee admits his experience is with the mechanical 6.2 engines. Do you think this still applies to the newer electronic pumps??

Wondert what George thinks of this as an additive?

Makes good sense in theory but scares me a bit in practice.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I can't speak for Dr. Lee - he is A LOT smarter than I about ALL diesels. All I can say is that I used TCW3 2-cycle oil in my 6.5, which had 65k trouble free miles when I sold it and I have run it in my Dmax since new (currently at 17kmi). The TCW3 oil is a clean burning lubricant which (IMHO) when added to diesel fuel can't hurt, may help and is definitely is NOT essential. There have also been a few TDP threads on adding 2-cycle oil to diesel fuel in which I remember reading that some folks add 2-cycle oil to #1 Diesel for added lubricity when used in extremely cold climates (Alaska).
Edited by: jbplock

1 - 12 of 12 Posts