Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here, so i apolgize if this isnt the correct forum. I looked in the other forums but didnt see any place dedicated to posting this. Anyways it goes like this. Im in the market for either a duramax or p-stroke. Im a pretty good FORD fan, but have friends that own a Chevy dealership and they let me test drive a 03 3/4 ton duramax ext cab yesterday and that thing was incredible, i cant get over the ride. They are doing construction in our town, so its all tore up, it was like i was in a caddy. Power seemed very good to, quieter than a p-stroke, but you still know its a diesel. Its unfortunatly way out of my range at around 30,000.
I can do about 15-20g(maybe a bit more) so,im gonna be looking in the 01-02 area w/some mileage on it. What are some key areas or things to look over w/these trucks.Front end wear points, rear ends, tranny updates etc....

Its gonna be on our farm in the summer, and will be towing a 2 place enclosed sled trailer in the winter. Nothing serious for this truck, but none the less.
Whatever info you guys could shoot meid really apprecaite it. Im coming from a 94 ranger 4l, so anything is an improvement.
Thanks-Adam

·
Registered
60 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">Yeah quieter than a stroker, or a cummns. Once you get the diesel you will love that it is a diesel, and love the sound! If you are looking at used ( finance rates) vs new ( finance rates) plus warranty GO NEW </TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i totally agree that its quieter than the competiiton...especially the late 90s early 00's cummins, unneccsary loud... ive loved diesels ever since i was about 10-11 (19 now)and my dad got his first p-stroke, i just loved the sound and the torque,and for on the farm, you cant go wrong..
Financing is not a big thing w/me, ill most likly be paying all out cash, or if i need some dough to carry me over, ill take it from our farm, and pay the biz off. Ive just never been big into loans,and interest and all that stuff...
Ive got a little bit of time to go before i purchase, lookin to buy in the june-aug timeframe, but if i find the right deal ill bite...
Im really lookin for info to make me switch from ford to chevy. My dad has a 97 3/4 ton2wd p-storke &my uncle has a 02 p-stroke 1-ton 4x4...have had next to no problems w/them big or small. And id prolly be able to find a good 99-01 for about what id like to spend,where as the d-max only came on the market in 01. But i drove the d-max and the thing was just SMOOTH!!!! and im a little partial the chevy 4x4 system, push a button and go, no fussin w/hubs..also enjoy the interior stlyin a bit more on the chevy...
any other comments out there....
sorry for the rant..-Adam

·
Registered
132 Posts
Adam---I've got two ps furds (damn meant to say fords). My DMAX is on another level when it comes to sheer driving enjoyment. The furds are not even close. Just drive the DMAX and give it some thought. I think I know what the outcome will be! Happy truckin and good luck.--------------------------
---Phil

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I'm in the market for a used vehicle, I try to find one with a maintenance log. If a person really cares and takes care of a vehicle, a log is almost mandatory. You can then see when oils, filters, tires, ...all maintenance items were performed, thereby giving you the info on what you can expect to spend, if anything, to get it in reliable condition. Without a log, you're really shooting in the dark and don't have any idea what has been replaced or what kind of care it has been given, other than what you can see.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info guys, apprecaite it. i defintly like your line of thought trip, a log would do wonders...if i buy from a private seller im gonna take into account the personaltily of the person. If its some young gun like myself, im prolly gonna be a bit more hesitant... The more i think of it, the more i think im gonna go and try for a d-max...even tho my test drive was only maybe 6-7 miles i was trully impressed...ive been lookin the in the W/CNY and N pa swap sheet, and i cant find but a handful...any other thoughts?
Thanks-Adam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Polarbear I'm new here also, and today I just got back from the dealership from ordering my new LLY! I got out the door for $35000 +taxes (about $2500 in NV). Compared to some of the prices for used trucks out here due to lack of availabilty, a brand new truck makes sense!

·
Registered
114 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

ibought my baby this past feb...LOVE it!!...i've had a '93 suburban gasser since early '97, and it's been fine...EXCEPT it's VERY anemic pulling my 18' stock trailer uphill and the gas milage is terrible, ESP when towing!

i looked at fords and dodges also, and was NOT impressed...the dodges were loud and rode stiff, and neither of them had the interior creature comforts as does the jimmy...we also have a '99 caddy sts and when my wife first saw the jimmy, her first remark was that the interior was EXACTLY like the caddy...which is 95% true...the caddy has digital climate controls, and the jimmy's are knobs, lol!

i bought mine used, as u can see, but it has ALL the bells and whistles...if you DO get a new one, get EVERYTHING on it you can...if you order the slt, a LOT of goodies will be standard...

the '04 dmax has the new engine configuration, so you mite want to consider a new one...there are LOTS of deals...

good luck!

</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts