Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to de-cat my 95 C2500 burban. Found a pipe at local junk yard out of a 92 or 93 1 ton with no soot trap installed. Perfect fit from downpipe all the way pack to muffler... except it has a 2 bolt flange at the downpipe and mine is a 4 bolt.

I need a better ( uncrimped) downpipe with a 2 bolt flange.

Who sells these pipes and will a 92 fit a 95?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Look at ebay. ss diesel supply just about always has one on there. I'm sure there are a few more too.
Ted

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is all 3 inch and no flange.
I need 2 3/4 in with the original stlyle flange. Don't want to change out entire exhaust.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
BD has one with the flange you need. BTW, they are all 3 inch and don't worry it will still fit.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried BD, they have only 4 bolt flange or no flange downpipes..

·
Registered
215 Posts
cant cut and weld the old on the new

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess I will just order one from Jardine and weld it or flare and slip it on.
What is involved it changing the downpipe? Can the clamp be got to without pulling the turbo up?

Looks like it will be hard to get to.

BTW, cut the soot trap off today, and I could barely see any light through it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
had to pull my inner fender to get mine off

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Guess I will just order one from Jardine and weld it or flare and slip it on.
What is involved it changing the downpipe? Can the clamp be got to without pulling the turbo up?

Looks like it will be hard to get to.

BTW, cut the soot trap off today, and I could barely see any light through it.
Can be done with removing the air box, when you put it back on flip the clamp so the nut faces forward.... way easier!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a factory crimped DP, 4 bolt flange if anyone needs it for scientific research.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Im tackling my downpipe replacement this weekend. Any tips on getting the 4 bolts loose? I plan on soaking them in PB Blaster. I also noticed that one end of the bolt doesn't have a 'head' or anything for a wrench to grab onto. Will the entire bolt start turning when I start to loosen the nuts? Also, is there a flange or gasket at that connection of the downpipe to the exhaust? I also took my new DeWalt 18v Recip saw and cut out the cat and muffler but didn't want a larger exhaust for fear of too much noise incab. Kids holler enough as is and don't need the wife whining about either. Sorry for the elementary questions but I am a shadetree mechanic in the making. Gotta start somewhere!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I removed the air filter box to gain better access to the band clamp. I loosed the band clamp on the turbo and the four bolts at the bottom of the downpipe. Then, I cut the mounting bracket on the Kitty free with a 4" grinder close to the pipe and then cut the back part of the pipe on the Kitty that connects with the exhaust just past where they couple and overlap. This freed the thing and allowed me to pull it forward and out. I purchased a couple clamps and a 3' section of 3" pipe http://store.airflo.com/4311-336.html. I slid it on as far as I could along the exhaust to the still in place muffler section of the exhaust and then positioned the new SSDiesel downpipe (no bottom flange) and attached the band clamp. With the band clamp on but still loose, I slid the 3' section of pipe forward to couple with the downpipe and then clamped both ends of the 3' section in place and finally tightened the band clamp.

Don't sweat the 4 bolts. I think they're press fitted; mine didn't spin and I had no problem loosening them.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed the air filter box to gain better access to the band clamp. I loosed the band clamp on the turbo and the four bolts at the bottom of the downpipe. Then, I cut the mounting bracket on the Kitty free with a 4" grinder close to the pipe and then cut the back part of the pipe on the Kitty that connects with the exhaust just past where they couple and overlap. This freed the thing and allowed me to pull it forward and out. I purchased a couple clamps and a 3' section of 3" pipe http://store.airflo.com/4311-336.html. I slid it on as far as I could along the exhaust to the still in place muffler section of the exhaust and then positioned the new SSDiesel downpipe (no bottom flange) and attached the band clamp. With the band clamp on but still loose, I slid the 3' section of pipe forward to couple with the downpipe and then clamped both ends of the 3' section in place and finally tightened the band clamp.

Don't sweat the 4 bolts. I think they're press fitted; mine didn't spin and I had no problem loosening them.
Did you pull the old down pipe forward to get it out?

I am thinking about having the local exhaust guy fabricate a down pipe for me. Are there any crimps at all in the aftermarket, SSDiesel or other downpipe?

BTW, where did you fly 141's? I was in the 53rd at Norton 75-78.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sorry. Remove the band clamp, remove the 4 flange bolts, push the downpipe aside. Cut the CAT MOUNT AND BACK OF EXHAUST ATTACHED TO CAT FREE and pull the CAT forward.

Once you get the cat out of the way, the downpipe is easy to remove from below...may have to rotate it a little but it's no problem.

If you go to that link on my last post, that "stack" is a 3' section of 3" pipe but about 6-8" of it is expanded out to sleeve tightly OVER the 3" downpipe section. SSDiesel's downpipe is longer than the original and the combination of the two will get you connected to the portion of the exhaust forward of the muffler. There's a little slop between the exhaust forward of the muffler and the exhaust stack. If that bothers you, cut some grooves in the end of the stack so it collapes on the factory exhaust when loaded with the clamp.

You're overthinking it. Buy a 3" downpipe, a 3' stack and a couple clamps and be done with it...if your sole goal is to get rid of the abused downpipe and cat. If you're going to chip or reprogram and expand gauges in the next year, dump the whole exhaust.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry. Remove the band clamp, remove the 4 flange bolts, push the downpipe aside. Cut the CAT MOUNT AND BACK OF EXHAUST ATTACHED TO CAT FREE and pull the CAT forward.

Once you get the cat out of the way, the downpipe is easy to remove from below...may have to rotate it a little but it's no problem.

If you go to that link on my last post, that "stack" is a 3' section of 3" pipe but about 6-8" of it is expanded out to sleeve tightly OVER the 3" downpipe section. SSDiesel's downpipe is longer than the original and the combination of the two will get you connected to the portion of the exhaust forward of the muffler. There's a little slop between the exhaust forward of the muffler and the exhaust stack. If that bothers you, cut some grooves in the end of the stack so it collapes on the factory exhaust when loaded with the clamp.

You're overthinking it. Buy a 3" downpipe, a 3' stack and a couple clamps and be done with it...if your sole goal is to get rid of the abused downpipe and cat. If you're going to chip or reprogram and expand gauges in the next year, dump the whole exhaust.
I just ordered the donwpipe kit, from Summit that includes the crossover and the downpipe has a factory style flange on it.

Cut the Cat out already there is a difference.

So what C-141 squadron were you in?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts