Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these lights at Cabela's and ordered a pair. Great rear lighting while backing and the quality is good for the price. The installation is simple and all necessary parts are provided in the kit. Take a look - they may just what you're looking for!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0004104520842a&navAction=jump&navCount=4&indexId=cat20133&podId=0004104&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat20133&parentType=index&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat21412&hasJS=true

Edited by: tbrowne

·
Registered
12 Posts
On y our recommendation, I ordered a set of these lights. I set them a closer together (about 6-8" from center of vehicle) and angled them slightly out maybe 5 degrees. Gives great light especially with the tinted windows. Now I can see where I'm going at night. I plan on putting in a second relay so I can turn them on from inside the vehicle if I'm hooking up a trailer or just need some light.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I mounted a set of Pilot lights that are 6" long and only 7/8" high.

I also did not want a bunch of extra switches to worry about so I hooked them up to my rear cargo light with an extra fuse inline. Works great.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
akdiesel said:
I also did not want a bunch of extra switches to worry about so I hooked them up to my rear cargo light with an extra fuse inline. Works great.

Where did you make the splice at? Under the dash?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Actually is took me a long time to figure out that they use a negative connection for the cargo lights. I spliced in along the a piller.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I forgot to mention if you do go this route you will need to isolate the metal light bracket from any metal on the truck. I used some garloc material and rubber gromets to keep from touching.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
This would be excellent for trailer and backup vison.

I may have to add to the Christmas List...

akdiesel, thanks for the tip on the cargo switch and insulation. Sheet teflon gasket material would be a good choice too...

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Where exactly did you splice at? Which wire was it? I wanna do this for the cargo light too. Any pictures?

Ben

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I did not take any pictures of the install and I have the dual a-piller in place with the plastic push button rivets with no spares incase I screw one up.

I can't remember which color wires they were, but if you take the rear cargo light off and look at the wires on there and trace them back at the a-piller you should be able to find them easy enough. You could also use a test light to locate them.

Sorry I could not help you out any more than this.

I have had in place for about 1 year now and I have not had any issues with the wattage on the wires. I don't leave them on long enough to cause that much heat either. I would not go any higher than the 55 watt lights. That is what I have on mine.

I was trying to show a picture of the lights mounted on the rear bumper, but I am not able to upload a picture.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I chose the cargo light switch also because it informs you that your rear lights are on if you happen to forget.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,
Here are pics of a backup light installation I did on my Silverado 3500. The highlights are:
1). Come on either in Reverse or via switch in cab.
2). Cheap tractor flood lights from Princess Auto.
3). Cole-Hersee switch mounted in bank under dash with blanks to mount 3 more switches.
4). Power from SEO connector in MBEC block.

Would be happy to answer questions. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Well I finally figured out the picture game.

I picked these lights because they give me the clearance I wanted for snow drifts. I did not want anything to hang to low.

They may not be as luminescent as Diesel Dad's, but they give me what I want.

I wanted to incorperate them into the bumper, but I have a hard time cutting into a perfectly good bumper.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Are you able to adjust the angles etc. once they are attached or is it once they are on they do not adjust?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
They adjust up and down just like on any other flat surface.

There is a little adjustment side to side by piveting it on the mounting holes, but you will want to get the correct angle you want for the side to side before you drill holes.

If you go with the ones that Deisel Dad has you can angle them any direction due to it only having one mounting hole.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can pick pretty much any type of light but they need to be flood lights and you need to mount them close to the corners of the bumper. Otherwise, they light up an area you can't see anyway.

All of the effort is in the wiring. Lights are cheap. You can easily replace them later.

My backup lights are very bright and can controlled by switch as well to deal with tailgating ricers

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks akdiesel; I think I am going to go this route this time with the slimmer profile; dieseldad, I have gone your route a few times with some Hella driving lights before and have lost them due to breakage through either a big stone or debris being thrown up at them and breaking them off. Gets expensive just to be able to see backwards. The great thing about the Hella's was if someone is tailgating you and you hit them with those 55 watt or 100 watt bulbs they WILL back off!

·
Registered
220 Posts
FWIW, I used some KC HiLites #1763 that are triggered
by a relay from the reverse lightes as well as the
cargo lamp switch. It works well for my needs. Here's my small
write up on it.

Hope this helps,

T.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
KC makes a wide angle light but it is about the same size as the one on Diesel Dads truck.

I thought about putting it on the reverse light wireing, but I wanted to have the ability to manually operate the lights and I don't see how it is possible to have both the reverse trigger and a seperate toggle to turn them on when you want them on with out going into reverse.

I am sure you could put a toggle in line with the wire from the rear lights to turn them on, but then it would also turn on your reverse lights and maybe trigger your reverse indicator. Unless they make some sort of one way electronic piece that would only allow current in one direction.

·
Registered
220 Posts
akdiesel said:
KC makes a wide angle light but it is about the same size as the one on Diesel Dads truck.
I thought about putting it on the reverse light wireing, but I wanted to have the ability to manually operate the lights and I don't see how it is possible to have both the reverse trigger and a seperate toggle to turn them on when you want them on with out going into reverse.
I am sure you could put a toggle in line with the wire from the rear lights to turn them on, but then it would also turn on your reverse lights and maybe trigger your reverse indicator. Unless they make some sort of one way electronic piece that would only allow current in one direction.
I have the lights triggered by the cargo light switch as
well as the reverse lamps.

It does NOT turn on the reverse lights. See the
wiring diagram I listed in the link above..... These
are mutually exclusive - when in reverse, the cargo
light does NOT come on. When the cargo lights are on,
the OEM reverse lights are NOT on either....

To me, the KC HiLites look smaller than those used by
DieselDad...

good luck,

T.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
akdiesel,

I know you mentioned they were Pilot, where did you get them, and about how much were they? I really like the low profile look, almost unnoticeable, very nice. I don't really need them, but it would be nice every once in a while to have a little more light back there.

Thanks,
Dennis

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.