Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of right now my daily driver is a mildy modified '87 Mustang GT that is somewhat losing its daily driven reliablity because of the power. Because I've always wanted a PSD since the sound and size kicks ass, figured it would be a good investment to have it as a daily driver, plus haul the car to the track. If my car breaks, I can just put it on a trailer and go home. Not too much of a hassle.

Because I am limited to ~$6,500 and below, my choices are narrowed down to an early-to-mid 90s PSD. All the F-150s are v6s, right, unless it's a Lightenting? Are there anythings I should look out between certain years (ie. recalls on a part)? How good of a daily driver would a PSD be?

I probably won't get too carried away with the mods other than exhaust and a chip, but once you start, it's hard to stop.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
In these parts you couldn't afford a PSD. There are some nice IDI's within that price range. I had an 89 with manual trans, and I enjoyed the truck. There is a difference between it and my PSD. I enjoy commuting in my truck!
Good luck shopping!!

Justin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the big power or reliablitly difference between the two types of diesel other than the injecting methods? Do you like your psd a lot more than the idi?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The powestroke is turbocharged where the IDI is not. The stroke has more overall power pulling. But the IDI always did the job as well. I wish I knew more about modding the IDI's but you could get alot of info from: thedieselstop.com they have forums for the different forms of the 7.3. If I could find another good deal on a IDI I would buy it and use if for a second truck (Ranch work, etc). Hope this helps? Any more questions I'll try to help!

Justin

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't think you'd be able to get a PSD for ~$6,500 here either. One of the IDI's, you bet!! As was said before if you find an IDI go to TDS, the guys on the IDI forums there are great. I think the IDI was also turboed for '94, but it is way different than the '94 PSD/5 speed combo.

However, you can get a V-8 in the F-150. Mid 90's had either the 302 or 351, and I believe the six was the 300 straight six. Good, long lasting, can't bust it motor, I tried hard in a '95 E-250. '97+ have the modular 4.6 and 5.4 motors, as well as the 4.2 V-6. While the diesel would be cool to have, I'd like one right now, not enough mula, look for what is in your price range and was taken care of.

Have a good one!!

Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
That looks like a nice truck! It's probably priced that way because of miles?? All the dealers around here are priced different. Might be worth checking into. Good Luck, Justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.