Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I own a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 5.9 with 3:93 gears and last year my wife and I bought a moutaineer TT that has a top end weight around 10,500 and is too much to legally pull with my Dodge. I did pull it home from campground 15 miles flat running with ease but she's too big for the half ton. We went looking for a deisel and the prices about floored me. I came on one lot where I know personally three of the employees and they had a 2001 3500 duramx ally combo fully loaded and I tell you mint condition...wasn't even rust on the springs. A guy in NY (roadsalt capitol of world) buys one and drives to FL for 2 months when roads are dry and returns same way...gets it serviced and parks in garage until next trip. It has an actual 22,200 miles on it and is spotless in and out. I was astonished. I didn't want to commit totally but didn't want to lose truck so I gave them 250 deposit to hold for three weeks. Never owned a deisel but I have a friend with the same exact truck that pulls a 36 or 38 foot carriage FW and has never had a lick of a problem. I read all this injector stuff and worry about purchasing anything that will not be covered by warrany. I guess the warranty is all off except for the injectors which still have another year since he purchased it in the winter of 02. I have talked with the previous owner who says this will probably be his last new truck due to his age and claims he traded to have the freedom of hastle having a warranty coverage while travelling. He told me his milages he got too while we talked. The head of the maintennance dept I talked to told me that every recall item as well as all services are done timely by the gent. He wouldn't take delivery of his new one until the roads were dry. I was feeling pretty good about not spending 45 grand to try deisel but now after reading all these injector posts I am having second thoughts. I have never had much trouble with gas engines although my dodge which I really like just just loves gas stations. I have to do something by next week. My wife and I manage a federal campground summers and I have talked with all the regulars who pull with deisels, the majority being duramax and have never heard anyone even mention injectors...some of these rigs are older and have between 100 and 200 thousand miles on them too. Are there any trucks out there that don't have injector problems with duramax engines and what might I ask of the dealership about maybe checking the injectors for peace of mind. Thanks for your help.......Mac~

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Go to any automotive forum, gas, diesel, dodge, chevy, ford,....etc. One common thread you will see is "help it broke". This only a small percentage of people on the road with these trucks.

Get the VIN and post it in the VIN check forum. Someone will pull up the service records for you. If you want the dealer to really check the injectors have them do a return flow test (Not an injector balance check). It may cost you $200 but it's really the only way.

·
Registered
42,913 Posts
How many miles do you plan on pulling the trailer or putting on the truck in a given year?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
saguaro kid....probably 10-12,000.............Mac~

·
Registered
702 Posts
jobi67,
You didn't mention how much your expecting to pay for this truck and I'm sure all the nosy people around here would like to know, me too!
Injectors on that truck as well as all 02's and 03's are warrantied for 7 yrs or 200k mi. I would believe the time limit of 7 yrs is from orig date of purchase like any other mfg warranty which would put you at end of 2009 for your warranty, w/ real low miles to boot, which would also be in your favor if you have an injector problem just after the 7 yrs is up.
I bought an 02, last year, 25k mi on it, real similar to yours, perfect cond, religiously maintained and am very happy w/ the truck. Basically I got a new truck w/o the factory bumper to bumper warranty, for alot less than a new one.
I know several people w/ 01-02 DMax trucks and none have had injector problems yet. One truck is an 01, owned by an ecxavation contractor, tows heavy w/ it and has had a full Banks pkg on it since 02 I believe, has 150k mi on it now and runs like a champ, no problems.
You'll be pleased w/ that truck if you choose to buy it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts