Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Im new here and looking for advice.

I have a 2006 gmc crew cab lb 2500hd duramax. Bone stock.

I need to get it ready to tow my toy hauler which is a 2013 voltage 3200.

From reading I gather I need about a 20k 5th wheel hitch, air bags (firestone), and possibly a tuner (efi live).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I want to be able to tow saftly with my set up.

What brands and what gear is recommended for my setup?

Also any good mechanice that can do the work in the los angeles area?
Thanks in advanced for your help

Chad

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
A tune is probably not necessary, but a quality hitch is of utmost importance. Curt, B&W both make good ones. You'll most likely also want air bags. Get one that you can inflate from onboard.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
just add the 5th wheel hitch,then load the trailer and try it,,i hauled aa 40' 2 car open trailer weighing 20k+ with a stock truck and it did fine

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
Pay attention to your rear axle weights and make sure your tires aren't overloaded. Hook up to the trailer fill with water and camping supplies plus your toys and go find a scale. Measure each axle weight.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
An added leaf to the overload set would increase the capacity without affecting ride unloaded.
Ensure your tires are the correct load rating.
How often / how far do you plan to tow the camper?
If you have a smaller fuel tank you may want to consider an additional fuel tank but that will reduce available volume of an already small bed.
Jim

·
Registered
939 Posts
These trucks pull amazing in stock form. Tuner not needed. I run only 15 psi in my airbags, and the truck barely squats below level with my 33' 5th wheel toyhauler...and thats with a 1/2 bed of firewood and about 30gal of fuel & misc. stuff in the bed. I went with a 20k hitch for that added peace of mind, even though a 16-18k would've sufficed. Gearing is stock, and gotta love cruise control...just set it and forget it.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I agree with airbags, I like the truck to run at unloaded height then the lights are always aimed correctly. If you are going to tow in the mountains a tub tune with a turbo brake is good.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Being that he's got a 2500HD I'd have to agree that perhaps airbags are a decent consideration here. The bags should be used to help balance the suspension system within it's capabilities. Don't use the bags as a justification to overload the truck.

I'll take the OP at his word here; that being safety is key. Obvious thing is to make sure all the mechanical items are in good shape. I also have a 2006. Brake lines are a must-do in terms of assuring no corrosion, etc. (I had my brake lines burst open when towing my Kubota and it was a bit scary to say the least). Make sure the brakes are fully functional and not having the pads stick in the brackets, etc. Make sure your wheel bearings (Front and Rear) are in decent shape for the increased loads. Tie rod ends need to be checked. Etc etc ...

I don't know that a tune is really what you'll need. While a tune does help put out more power, that power still has to go through the same drive-line, etc. I'm not a big fan of greater power for the sake of winning an uphill drag race pulling a 5ver. I do understand why some guys like them; I'm just not a fan. It's not like I'm right and they are wrong; personal preference plays a big role here. The LBZ has plenty of grunt to get up any hill with a big load. It may take an extra few seconds in stock form, but it will do the job nicely. To each their own in this regard. Just realize that if you use a tuner, and then don't also upgrade things like your TC and such, you're just moving the stress downstream to some other components. It's like the chain analogy; there will be a weak link somewhere and if you increase power, you're going to make something else fail sooner if you abuse it. The TC and stock C3 clutches are known weak points when a lot of power is added. There are people who use tuners wisely and have no big issues; there are others who are foolish and cannot manage the power increase well. My point is that the stock powertrain is fairly well balanced. Adding a tuner does cause concerns in the long term if not managed as a total system.

As for the turbo brake, in the LBZ trucks there is a factory brake function already in the ECM; he just needs to put in a dash switch and use it. That's what I did and it works great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts