Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a used car dealer getting a rim for my old Dodge pickup today. I noticed a mid 80's GMC Half ton 4x4 truck sitting there. It has the 6.2 and a 4 speed auto. The cab was in pretty good sape, except for a couple of the rear window panels were missing. The bed's pretty rustyin the fender area. I may go look at it further tomorrow, so I have a few quick questions. 1. What would a rig like this be worth, assuming it runs alright. I don't know the mileage.Tires need replaced. 2. What kind of fuel mileage could I expect out of this thing? 3. How reliable are the automatics in these? I've never owned a Chevy with an automatic, and I've heard many different opinions on these. Also, do these transmissions have a lockup on them? 4. Power-wise how good are these 6.2s? I will tow and haul with it. 5. Is there anything in particular I should look at when I check this thing out? Thanks in advance.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
1. What would a rig like this be worth, assuming it runs alright. I don't know the mileage.Tires need replaced.
hard to tell, maybe 1200-1500? maybe up to 2000 if condition permits.

2. What kind of fuel mileage could I expect out of this thing?
on a good running engine with that transmisson(sounds like a TH700R4) which has a overdrive...and a 1/2ton(so guessing good rear gears) you can bet to get around 20MPG.

3. How reliable are the automatics in these? I've never owned a Chevy with an automatic, and I've heard many different opinions on these. Also, do these transmissions have a lockup on them?
they do automatically lockup. they are realiable if taken care of. best bet is to drive it around and see how it feels. if you noticed a tranny cooler was added on the front of a radiator, thats should add more insurance for you. they like to overheat. youre talking mid 80's, so you should have a tranny with some of the upgrades compaired to the 1982/1983 version. might even have been rebuilt by now. they are relable if taken care of is what it comes down too.

4. Power-wise how good are these 6.2s? I will tow and haul with it.
you can tow and haul with it if you take care of it and dont abuse it. abuse it and she'll give up on you. the 6.2L diesels and that tranny was meant for fuel economy. but they will pull, especially with a few simple upgrades.

More then likely your engine will be a C code. although engine power ratings seem to varly slightly year to year, they are all pretty close together. heres what I know for 1985 models.
C code:[email protected] RPM and 240lb/ft torque @2000 RPM
J code:[email protected] RPM and 246lb/ft torque @2000 RPM

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
on a good running engine with that transmisson(sounds like a TH700R4) which has a overdrive...and a 1/2ton(so guessing good rear gears) you can bet to get around 20MPG.
At least... My 3/4 ton gets 27 mpg... I guess it all depends on how you drive it.

5. Is there anything in particular I should look at when I check this thing out?
I guess I'll answer #5. Check for any noticeable smoke, occasional black is fine as well as just a little blue, but preferably no white. With the engine running remove the radiator cap and look for any bubbles in the coolant, none is good. Look for any coolant leaks, especially in the radiator (the radiators for these are very expensive). See how it starts cold. Don't let the guy "warm it up for you". Make sure the transmission shifts good. Try the four wheel drive, see if it works. Plan on doing the brakes. Other than that...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts