Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy has an 83 4x4. It's a manual and he claims it came stock with a Corvette T10 4-speed?

160,000 miles and needs and injection pump.

He wants $800 but will probably take 600 or 700.

What do the 6.2 guys think? He says the truck ain't in really bad shape. I like the old smokers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well Hoot if you are looking for a working truck, and it hasn't been completely destroyed you found it. For a beater of a work truck I would take an old '82 or 83 6.2 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If it has a 4 speed in it than all the better, but don't expect to break any speed records, it will top out around 60-65MPH if I remember correctly with that tranny and gears. The fact that you can have it for such a great price, is even better! The only thing is if the mileage is around 300-350K it is probably getting a little worn, but still for that kind of money, not a bad farm truck

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CAT,

It's got 160,000 miles on it so maybe I'll take a look tommorrow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Look at the frame closely under the steering box. They are bad about cracking out. Fixable, and someone used to make a patch for the 4x4. I don't think you'll find a corvette B/W T-10 unless they removed the T-case!
Mine has 360K but I built it @ 120K or so. The 82s break the piston skirts. The 83 has a redesigned piston. a 3.31 gear was very common in these. It is likely on it's second pump. Put the new style seal in it and they last much longer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good truck except the glow plug setup. update to some AC 60's and a timer, or push button.

Otherwise it will be a good truck, good fuel mileage, pretty dependable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
an '82 Blazer w/ 6.2 and Muncie 465 (??) started my downward spiral into dieselmainia.... Not a bad engine - I put a ton of miles on it - still running today at over 250K...

Of course I put a Banks turbo and a TH400 in it when I rebuilt the motor at 165K.... Still a good solid ride though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 82s break the piston skirts

How common is this. I'm getting an 82? How do you tell if ones cracked.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Love the avatar.

The only way to see a bad piston skirt is pull the pan. It can be done without pulling the engine.

You can learn a ton by pulling the pan, it would give you a very good overall view of the condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys...I have a 6.2L diesel...in an 84' 4x4 Burb. And I'm getting this mad vibration/mettalic rattle coming from the engine. I don't have the power I had a week ago.....I don't know what's going on. Could it be the crank has rattled loose ?? I Know it's not the tranny or the drive shaft because it does it even in Neutral. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I JUNK THIS THING LOL. Not really if I can't fix it then I'll convert it to Gasoline....too expensive to get another diesel. Thanks for any help you guys might give

·
Registered
124 Posts
Could it be a knock, or a chirp? like a bad injector maybe. The loss of power sounds like a fuel issue, and dropping power that fast.

Or a couple things to check, see if the harmonic balancer is okay, look for rubber to be pushed out.

There was a problems with the power steering bracket breaking the part the bolts to the water pump, it will make a lot of noise.

Torque convertors can make a lot of noise when they are going, they can vibrate, but the loss of power thing gets me again.

Does it do it all the time, warm or cold? what happens when you go down the road?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea I'm having a lot of trouble starting it in the mornings.....my dad already replaced the glow plug controller with a push button a while back when he had it. Yea it does feel like the vibration is coming from the lower end.....I'll check the balancer in the morning. The powersteering filler bracket is already broke and I took the braket off. I also removed the A/C unit the other day. But that vibration is driving me up a wall, and I think the vibration could be the reason that I'm loosing power...I could be wrong though. When I'm going down the road and I get up to about 45mph is when it starts up.....or when I press on the gas/diesel pedal hard enough to bring the RPM's up to about 5-6K. And it does do it warm or cold. I don't think it the Torque converter as the tranny was rebuilt for the 3'd time a 3 months ago. The first two times they didn't get it right and it went out within a week, so the torque converter is brand new...I got it brand new in the box. It has a 700R4 Tranny if that helps any...and it is 4x4. So if it is the harmonic balancer what do I do...replace it....tighten it..what. I'm not the in the know about harmonic balancers and such.....as this is my first V-8 engine. I come from a background of working on imports. Yea yea...ricer I know. But now I'm a convert...I traded my dad the import for this fine piece of american muscle...now if only I could get it to run right LOL.

·
Registered
211 Posts
GMC Duramax,
I noticed a change in the way the engine sounded while returning home late one night. I was still 120 miles out. I was running about 80 when I heard it. I slowed down and ran the speed limit a bit and listened. I stopped a bit later and could hear a slightly louder knock while at idle. I drove it on home. To fully answer you question, It would be hard to tell without something to compare it to. I used the “stick in the ear” trick to listen and narrowed it down to 2 cylinders. The knock was very slight and low enough I was really looking for a wrist pin when I took it apart. As noisy as they are, I’m not sure I would notice it.
It was common enough of a problem, that the piston was redesigned in the 83’s. I personally have seen 3 that broke, and 2 with at least 200k that were fine. As traveler said pull the pan, look closely near the oil ring lands.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The hard starting makes me wonder if you have a Glow plug that dropped the tip. Have they been replaced? I had one drop the tip of the glow plug, didn't really hurt anything, knocked a bit, pulled the head, took out the left over pieces, put it back together and put another 220K on it.

It coud be a cracked or broken piston, Depending on how bad it is, usually the piston pins rattle at upper rpms, and the rods and mains rattle at lower rpms.

Another thing you could check is, rev the motor till you get the vibration, hold it there, while it is running loosen each injector line until you can hear and rpm drop. If you get to a cylinder you don't notice a difference, pull the injector and have it checked.

A bad injector will cause all the conditions you describe as well.

Lots of possibilities yet. You narrowed down the easy ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts