Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been looking at this 01 EC SB 4x4 for a few weeks and me and the wife went and test drove it today - 78,000 miles -
It drove out pretty good but, did have a few little things about it and were wondering if other 01/02 owners have experienced this and can help me out

1. the serpentine belt tensioner was very loose and wobbling and squeaking pretty good, is this common and how expensive is a new one?

2. when coming to a stop like at a stop light the engine had a noticable loping to it, I think this truck had been sitting for a couple weeks, Is this a sign of a bad problem or will it go away after a few days of driving? It seemed to do it when in drive but, not so much when in Park.

3. there was a small pop a few times in front end, I realize it is used just wondering if they normally have been having ball joint replacements or something at like 100,000 miles or so?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, other than this I really liked the truck and am still thinking about buying it
Jason

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an 01 with 180k miles on it. I have yet to replace the serpentine belt tensioner, the lopey idle is most likely caused by a bad fuel pressure regulator (mine is bad, I just haven't replaced it yet), and all of my ball joints were replaced around 110k miles.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've changed my tensioner twice, very typical with GM, even gassers. If you buy the truck and end up changing it, buy GM or NAPA. I've also had the loping and surging at idle in drive, not in park. It was the pressure reg. and pressure sensor(contaminated fuel). Covered under 100k mile warranty. If this truck is at a dealer, make sure they honor the factory warranty, I personally had a dealer try and weasel out of it on a Tahoe with 10k miles on it. My 3500 does not have any suspension noise, but my Tahoe makes a pop sometimes, and I have been to lazy to dive in to that yet.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
3. there was a small pop a few times in front end, I realize it is used just wondering if they normally have been having ball joint replacements or something at like 100,000 miles or so?

Jason
I would have to say upper ball joints. I would be surprised if you could get them to last for 50,000 miles not 100,000. I had one replaced at 27,000 miles. (boot did rip, but I did a temp repair to keep the grease in there). Also could be idler/pitman arms too. I had those changed at 27000 miles also. So much for being a HD truck. There has been people having front hubs go out. That is expensive since the ABS sensor is in with the hub. I would insist on them fixing problems if you were to buy it....of course, they probably won't do it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I replaced my tensioner at 100k. I does sound like the fuel pressure regulator that is causing the funky idle. It is possible your ECM may need some updating. I was told this could be solution too. As far as the noise in the front end, I would say it is your intermediate shaft that needs grease. This kit is less than $20 and is so easy to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you guys for all your help and expertise.

It helps a lot!!

Jason

·
Registered
89 Posts
I Too Had That Same Surge At Idle When I Bought My Used Dmax, And Was Told It Could Be Fprv But It Turned Out To Be Injectors

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am also looking at an 01 and was told they had problems with the injectors, does anybody know anything about this. I was told by the dealer most of these had been replaced by the warranty. Is the 01 a good diesel or should I look for a 02. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
520 Posts
01's are great and injectors are covered for 7 years or 200,000 miles whichever comes first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had been looking at the Power Stroke but my wife says it's to noiesy, then we drove the Duramax and she liked the quietness and also the comfort of the interior better then the Ford, it was like the interior of the Silverado Z-71 I just sold. How does the Duramax compare to the Ford when it comes to towing? I am new to this diesel stuff and not sure what to expect from them.
Also thank for the info on the warranty, what all is covered in the engine warranty? and how long.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Engine warranty is just that....pretty much anything on the engine. I believe it is 5yr/100,000 miles. The injector warranty is just that...injectors 7yrs/200,000. As far as towing.....I have driven a 02 Ford with the 7.3 towing a snowmachine trailer (open) and towed the same with mine...I liked mine hands down....Ford is just too loud for me. I felt as though I had quite a bit more power than the ford....I like the way the allison shifts better than the one my friend's ford had. Mileage....we are just about even on that. Not much difference there. I have towed with mine set at stock and about 45 hp extra and it makes no difference on mileage. Basically, buy the truck that you like riding in....both engines are pretty good....I just preferred GMC over ford, dodge, and chevy(even though they are basically the same truck as GMC).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts