Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm the new guy on the block... thanks for having me. I'm havin a lil' trouble and this looks like the place to ask. Well I have a 1989 4x4 ext. cab longbed 6.2l diesel silverado, the damn thing runs great. I just ran into a problem, my truck has the serpentine belt and my A/C comp. bearings are going out. I was wondering if I can take off the A/C comp. and bypass it with a smaller belt, eg. like the model without A/C ? I don't use it anyways and I can't seem to find a way of routing the belt without it.I've been staring at it til my peepers cant take it..haha. Anyone with a diagram to route the belt without it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

·
Registered
540 Posts
No diagram on a sticker under the hood??? All my vehicles have one showing with a/c and without a/c routing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it's got the diagram for the belt with a/c no diagram without ac...cant seem to figure a way of routing the belt without conflicts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sometimes an idler pulley was used when A/C was not on the vehicle.

Strange the sticker doesn't show without, all mine do.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Call a couple of junk yards and see if the have an engine without AC. Go take a look and go from there.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Have you checked into replacing the bearing, I don't know if the AC allows bearing changing; if the old one is removable it should have a PN on it you can take to a industrial supply house for a new one. I use locally Motion Industries which is also a nationwide chain in the US, A bearing is a bearing made by NGK, Fafner, NTN, Timken whoever as long as it is same type/size on existing bearing it should be able to be swapped, the bearing is not special to AC only use.

Or if you can't find a non AC pulley set up, maybe a used but good AC compressor with good bearing/bad clutch to act as the idler; maybe it does not make cold, but would function as idler then you would at least carry the belt properly and would be direct bolt on without modification, would have no real engine load, as only the pulley would turn, AC clutch would not pull in. Been running my 90 gasser that way 5 years, bad evap also, not worth fixing A/C in my "work truck" only spend 40 min/day in, to/from shipyard & free "Destroyer Haze-grey" overspray paint jobs every other month

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I think I still have the old compressor off my 95. The seals went out but the bearings are ok I think. If it will fit, (and you want it) you can have it for the shipping cost.

Also, are you sure the bearings are going? When the rubber in the crankshaft pulley broke on mine, I was sure it was the AC compressor making the noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 6.2 with one side glow plugs burning out. All voltage and resistance is good in all wires. Is there different quality of plugs and if so what are the best ones. I bought the last ones at napa. Any help would be greatly appreciated......Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts