Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the longest time that most of you store diesel in larger diesel storage tanks for farming? I have opportunity to buy a 500 gal tank with highway diesel, but fuel has been sitting for 4 years. Can I just add anti-gel, pump and run? Does anyone know where to buy the test strips for off-road diesel? I want to make sure it doesn't test as off-road before purchase.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
kappelmd;1571353; said:
What is the longest time that most of you store diesel in larger diesel storage tanks for farming? I have opportunity to buy a 500 gal tank with highway diesel, but fuel has been sitting for 4 years. Can I just add anti-gel, pump and run? Does anyone know where to buy the test strips for off-road diesel? I want to make sure it doesn't test as off-road before purchase.
It will definitely need an algae remover to be safe--Iwould let a lab test it first though--4 years is a long time.If it's off-road, you will see it being red in color.

·
Registered
924 Posts
x2 red dye infuel for off rd fuel

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have done that before. never again. if there is a problem it sucks!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
002tallymax;1572310; said:
i have done that before. never again. if there is a problem it sucks!!!!!!
Fuel did not appear to be red tinged, that is why I asked if there is a "test strip" for off-road diesel. If I had a Bio diesel setup, I would probably get it; however, I think I'll let someone else have this potential headache.

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree 4 years is a long..... time, but the crude oil has been in the ground for longer........ I will let this one go.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Diesel fuel life

I stored over 300 gal. of diesel fuel in 55 gal drums and it was still good over ten years later. I took me a while to use it, but it never turned bad. The barrels originally had soybean bread pan oil in them and they were perfectly clean when I put the fuel in them during the 1974 fuel crisis. I stored the barrels in an outbuilding so they were protected. I also had a 300 gal. tank for diesel for my oil furnace for my outbuilding that was filled one time a year. I never had any problem with that fuel either.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information on the long term storage. I let the last one get away; however, I won't shy away from the next one depending on how it is stored and in what container.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Will need a heavy dose of biocide. Nasty stuff too and will contaminate your tank in your truck. I recommend not using the fuel. Tanks are cheap. You can buy a brand new 550 gal tank for $550.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a Petroleum Engineer on this site that can recommend a methodology for testing old diesel fuel or recommend a place that can perform an analysis on a sample?

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
kappelmd;1572370; said:
Fuel did not appear to be red tinged, that is why I asked if there is a "test strip" for off-road diesel....
A white 3x5" notecard will work fine if you really want to be sure. LSD highway diesel will be anywhere from clear to yellow or even greenish, off-highway diesel will be anywhere from light pink to red on a white card.

Also, depending on how good your sense of smell is, you can smell the difference. LSD highway diesel has a more "acrid" smell than off-highway; if your house is heated with an oil furnace, see if you can notice the difference in smell between your home heating oil and the diesel you're putting in your truck.

kappelmd;1572370; said:
........ I will let this one go.
How good of a deal are you looking at? If it was me, I wouldn't do it for $2/gallon, but at $1.50 or $1/gallon, it starts to get more appealing.

kappelmd;1582531; said:
Is there a Petroleum Engineer on this site that can recommend a methodology for testing old diesel fuel or recommend a place that can perform an analysis on a sample?
I don't know offhand; but I know a couple guys who may have friends who have PE degrees, I'll look into it if you want.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I was just checking out a lab's analysis on using fresh diesel as opposed to older fuel.They were saying not to use fuel that's been sitting for more than a year no matter what and not to try and treat it because it will never return to it's original strength/potency.Interesting read--I'll try and find it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts