Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the pro's of hauling more stuff, what would be the con's of buying a long bed crew cab truck? I have a toyhauler that will hold 2 atv's. I want to haul a golf cart and atv in the toyhauler and another atv in the bed of the truck with the tailgate closed. Would there be enough room if I had a toolbox? On a long bed is the tow rating lower? Why aren't there more long bed trucks on the road?

SBB

·
Registered
848 Posts
yes u will have enough room but why there arent more long beds is because if u have a cc lb its like 23 feet long and it a pain to manivor it around places thts why

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have no problem manuevering my crew cab long bed and no an atv will not fit behind a tool box on a shorty. You can put the two front tires on top of the box, but then you have to watch that rear window. My 450r fits nicely behind my tool box with gate closed and about 4" to spare.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an extended cab long bed and I think if i had to do it over again I would have gone with a crew cab short bed. While its awesome having the space for the bed, most of the time here in So.Cal the length blows for parking or anything like that. I'm always finding myself having to be careful where I take it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are no cons. They look better, haul more stuff, look better, are more versitile, look better, :muahaha:

·
Registered
164 Posts
while I agree long beds are nice to have and look more proportional with a crew cab, it was easier for me to get a short bed than elongate the garage.:D
on edit - ever try to drive a crew cab long bed thru a parking garge?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
whooboy;1561415; said:
There are no cons. They look better, haul more stuff, look better, are more versitile, look better, :muahaha:
Well Said!! I've had 1 extended cab short box, 1 crew cab short bed and my current truck, CREW CAB LONG BED, If I were to do it again, I'd still go with the CREW CAB LONG BED, I love this truck! I just don't drive it to Los Angeles when I visit my Mom, there's no where to park it cuz IT'S TOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG AND LONNNNNNNNNNNNNG!.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I rather have to much room than not enough! The SBs are nice but I don't want to give up the space back there. As for parking garages, no problem! Just can't park in same spaces :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 3500 crewcab longbed dually. My next door neighbor has a 2500 crewcab shortbed. He goes just about anywhere he wants to including narrow bush roads for hunting, but after he gets his ATV in the 6.5 foot box, there's no room left for his dog. I can carry tons of stuff, but there are places I just cant go.
The tight corners and small parking spots downtown are made for cars and it just isnt practical to try to park my 22 feet long by 8 feet wide fatbutt truck. I can make it into most fast-food drive-thrus but turning around on a narrow logging road is a real chore.
I dont have a conscience any more about taking up 2 parking places but I usually end up shopping at stores like Walmart, Home Depot, SuperStore and Costco and malls that have huge parking lots. And its usually a long walk to the store from where I can park. Sometimes its truly a PITA.

BTW for my model year, the difference in length between a shortbed and a longbed crewcab is 18.9 inches. The length makes no difference on the highway so I guess it kinda depends what you want to do with it when you're not hauling ATVs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I can see both sides of the fence. Ya'll would know better than I but 18.9 inches makes that much difference in turning and maneuvering?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Most people that I know with a short bed at some point wished they had the extra room, even if they won't admit it! Deep down inside they have long bed envy.:rolleyes: CCLB's are a pain to park at the mall, but easier to spot when you look down the row of cars and you see the a$$ end sticking out.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I also have a cclb and wouldn't have it any other way...when i had my wide weather guard tool box my quad still fit in with room to spare..you can haul full sheets of plywood and shut the tail gate...the only con is the turning radius...that 18.9 inches does make a big difference....

·
Registered
902 Posts
My ext cab SB id great for parking. but If I could do it again it would be a cc/sb.

·
Registered
902 Posts
On edit My f250 long bed was a PITA to park

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i have a crew cab long bed and im glad i went with the long bed. i have a full size tool box and now i have a regular size bed again with the box in. also i like having a larger full tank compared to the short bed. of course the longer bed makes the truck 2 feet longer so it is harder to park but i got used to it and its worth it. i dont think you will have any problem putting atv in there with the tallgate closed and the toolbox.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine, Ext cab long bed. The only time it matters is in a parking lot. Going down the road I dont notice the differance. The 8' bed is a must, for me any ways. If I had it to do again I would go up to a Crew Cab and make it even longer. Two carseats in a ext cab isnt the roomiest thing in the world.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i spend about 5 weeks in NH and if i lived there....i would have definately bought a long bed.....but since i live in metro northern virginia.....i had to go with the shorty just because of parking. there are even place around here i cant even take my shorty because of parking. now i have a company car and had i had that at the time....i would've bought a long-bed. my theory is....better to have it and need it....then need it and not have it

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
for me a short bed or regular cab is not a option.on a plus i think long beds look a little more proportioned to the size of the cab if its a CC.so i just deal with the 23' of truck,are they really 23'? dang thats long never realized that. you absolutely will not regret getting a long bed.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I do the 5th wheel thing. It's much easier not having to remember to move your hitch back and forth to avoid smashing your trailer in to the back of your cab, like you do with a sb.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts