Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I have a savanna 3500 cube van.

I need some help locating the PMD. I took off the engine cover, but can't locate the IP. I've attached a pic so you can point it out for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone has a service manual or knows where I can get one, please let me know.

Thanks.

its a 2001 gmc savanna 3500 cube van (diesel)
6.5 turbo engine

Attachments

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Let me start by saying I know jack 'bout vans. I assume that pic is from the inside of the cab with the doghouse removed. If so the picture is of little help to us pointing out the IP as I suspect its at the other end of the engine.

Wow.. Talk 'bout your clusters, bet that 10 pound package shoved into a 5 pound box is APITA if not expensive to wrench on..

FWIW and Im just guessing here.. You want to look at the frontside of the engine. The IP is in the engine valley, tucked tightly under the front side of the intake manifold... Attached to it would be the PMD if its not been relocated already however, do I see a throttle cable off to the left and a throtle bracket toward the front of the engine? If so, that would indicate its mechanical IP and wouldnt have a PMD..

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The IP is located in the same location as any 6.2/6.5. Toward the front of motor in front of the turbo (in your case) FYI the PMD is practically impossible to remove with the IP in place unless you have loads of patience and a small star wrench. If it is bad, now would be the time to get an extention cable and locate a NEW PMD outside the engine bay. Check out Leroy Diesel for the kit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm not trying to remove the PMD. I just want to attach the extension cable and connect a new PMD elsewhere.

Just want to clarify some things

So am I looking in the wrong spot? From other posts I read, I was under the understanding that you take off the engine cover inside and then you could disconnect the PMD and attach the extension cable.

A little more explanation would be helpful. I don't understand too much myself because the setup is so compact.

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm on my work computer otherwsie I would show you better.

From your photo, the IP is located directly in front of the turbo in the center of the motor. The PMD is on the drivers side of the IP. You might have to remove that upper intake and the black intake tube to gain access. I would consider replacing the seal between the turbo outlet and the upper intake when you remove it, you could be leaking boost right there. Also I think all that excess oil is from a bad CDR valve, the gold tuna can looking deal on the passenger valve cover.

·
Vendor
9,675 Posts
You can't quite see the pump in your pic, but it should be pretty easy to see. It's dead center in the valley behind the coolant crossover and ahead of the intake crossover.

Follow the link and you'll see how a customer mounted the FSD to his Kennedy Cooler on his van:

Kennedy Diesel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i think i know where the ip is from looking at the injector lines and watching this video

for my vehicle, i can see the injector lines, but the ip is blocked from view and it doesn't look like i can just reach and disconnect the pmd

i've posted the picture again with a few questions

thanks once again

Attachments

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
As said above, its in the same place as every other 6.2/6.5. The back of the motor houses the intake manifold and turbo.

It would be easier to remove the upper intake manifold to access the PMD wiring.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Savanna 3500 Cube Van PMD

Unfortunately the PMD is up inside the engine well between the Injector Pump and the exhaust manifold. The GM engineer who designed the PMD location should be strung up with dental floss by his man parts! That's why it is recommended you move the PMD to the front passenger inside fender or elsewhere! They overheat in the engine well/ exhaust manifold are and fry themselves...

Hi

I have a savanna 3500 cube van.

I need some help locating the PMD. I took off the engine cover, but can't locate the IP. I've attached a pic so you can point it out for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone has a service manual or knows where I can get one, please let me know.

Thanks.

its a 2001 gmc savanna 3500 cube van (diesel)
6.5 turbo engine

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Unfortunately the PMD is up inside the engine well between the Injector Pump and the exhaust manifold. The GM engineer who designed the PMD location should be strung up with dental floss by his man parts! That's why it is recommended you move the PMD to the front passenger inside fender or elsewhere! They overheat in the engine well/ exhaust manifold are and fry themselves...
The exhaust manifold is nowhere near the PMD....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, I have a 97 Express, some motor. The plug CAN be accessed to install a remote PMD without having to remove everything, but it's really not hard to do it right. Start by removing the manifold crossover pipe. It's the big aluminum pipe that goes across the engine just above the turbo. It's held down by 6 10mm bolts. The gaskets are rubber O rings on the turbo and big rubber gaskets on each of the manifolds so they're re-usable. Then remove the big black plastic pipe that comes into the turbo from the air cleaner in the front. In the vans, start by removing the air cleaner assembly at the front of the grill, then the rubber flex hose, then the black pipe to the turbo. There is a large bolt that holds that pipe in that you can access from inside the truck, work that pipe out then you will see the PMD directly below that black pipe. You actually have pretty decent access once you get all the plumbing out of the way. Reassembly is in reverse order, no special tools or rebuild kits needed. It took me a while to figure all this out, but don't sweat it. You're maybe 5 minutes away from the PMD.

Reactions: Scijad

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Ok, I have a 97 Express, some motor. The plug CAN be accessed to install a remote PMD without having to remove everything, but it's really not hard to do it right. Start by removing the manifold crossover pipe. It's the big aluminum pipe that goes across the engine just above the turbo. It's held down by 6 10mm bolts. The gaskets are rubber O rings on the turbo and big rubber gaskets on each of the manifolds so they're re-usable. Then remove the big black plastic pipe that comes into the turbo from the air cleaner in the front. In the vans, start by removing the air cleaner assembly at the front of the grill, then the rubber flex hose, then the black pipe to the turbo. There is a large bolt that holds that pipe in that you can access from inside the truck, work that pipe out then you will see the PMD directly below that black pipe. You actually have pretty decent access once you get all the plumbing out of the way. Reassembly is in reverse order, no special tools or rebuild kits needed. It took me a while to figure all this out, but don't sweat it. You're maybe 5 minutes away from the PMD.

Good info, this should get ya going OP. :thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok thanks for all the input

Transporter2112 explanation helped the most

this should get me started and if I need any more help, I'll let you guys know

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
It actually looks easier than a truck since the intake is o-ringed

·
Registered
3 Posts
On a Chevy Van: The problem you will run into is there is not enough distance to remove the PMD screws between the PMD and the manifold. The screws exceed the space between the two! I bought another PMD (x2), an extension cord and heat-sink to mount the PMD on the inside of the passenger-side fender. One thing I will mention. After replacing four Injector Pumps (IP) on a 2000 Chevy 3500 Express and 5 PMD's, I discovered the problem was actually caused by the fuel tank lining sloughing off and blocking the lift well filters inside the tank (there are three!!) and kicking up particles which microscopically passed the fuel filter and was destroying the Injector Pumps. After discovering the problem and dropping the tank for the THIRD time, I cut an access panel in the floor & padding of the van so I would never have to drop the tank again. Don't know your specific problem, but if it is poor acceleration, "fish-biting", dying, or overall poor performance, check the lift pump inside the tank for metallic looking paint particles blocking it up!!! IT COST ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS until I figured it out myself. So far I have not had a problem since. I just check the tank filter every six months for blockage..... Goood Luck!!

·
Banned
84 Posts
I have one of these vans. It looks like you found a way to find it - those three lines under seen through the intake cross-over is the back of the injection pump. It looks like to me from your pic your turbo seals are blown or leaking. The van gets hot in that small engine compartment area. This is hard on the oil - and the engine heat soaks - the intake air temperature.

If the inside of the crossover is as oily as the outside or more - you have a blown or leaking seal likely on the turbo - in the pic it can be seen leaking out and dripping down the turbo compressor side outlet.

I make intercooler kits with water injection provisions built in for these because the turbo is at the rear - and the more it works for boost - the hotter it gets to cause heat soak across it back into the air intake. Unless you have an air intake temperature gauge - or are using a program on an Android phone across Bluetooth like "dashcommand" or using an ultragauge, you cannot see how radically the air intake temperatures swing.

My air intake cold in the morning (a southern California July morning) once started at 80 F and would go to around 116 F to 125 F and hold there as long at the vehicle is moving. Mid-day I could never get it much below 140 F. So long as it stays UNDER 125 F it runs fine. If you park say to go into store - the engine heat soak will cover the whole engine - when you start it back up the air intake will be the engine temperature approximately - usually 160 F. You cannot cool this back down by driving.

If you push for hard acceleration - it will not cool down the intake air, and combustion temps will be too hot for good performance. Most all research shows a diesel likes no more than 60 C or 140 F for air intake temps.

Over 125 F mine would run like crap and the turbo will not kick in. More boost is MORE heat to the intake air temperature. ULSD does not help - even though it burns cooler - it just means less power.

I now fumigate mine with true Hydrogen made on the fly through a vacuum based regulator-mixer and get really high fuel mileage - really low EGT's and cleaner and cooler oil. Since hydrogen goes out as cooler exhaust most of my problems went away fumigating with it. AND NO - I am not talking about "HHO" - I am talking about true pure hydrogen.

For that van you should consider putting on an EGT gauge, an oil temperature gauge, and a boost gauge - and having your turbo rebuilt or repaired - because oil leaking out of the intake like your pic shows means you are likely sucking and /or blowing oil past the turbo seals which is throwing your A/F injection ratio screwy.

Just a thought - that what you think are PMD problems may not "totally" be the only thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts