Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit a new to me fuel station for a fill up. I went in and chatted first to see if they do a high volume. Guy inside says yes they do.... why? I mentioned water/condinsation.... blah blah... he said "oh we have a monitoring system that's in that tank that tells us if there is any water in there." Hmmm.... never heard that before. Anyone else?

It was a mobile station about 1 year old. I believe all new tanks too but not positive.

cmc

·
Registered
91 Posts
A friend worked for a company that made sensors for this application, They could detect fuel contamination, tank levels, leaks, etc. All the information could be displayed on a console (typically a Windows based PC) and could also be tied into alarms and historical data could be collected for long term analysis. The sky is the limit, it just depends on how much the owner wants to spend. I can't see a normal "gas station" investing more than what was minimally required by State/Fed regulation or what they could recoup from ROI - so although the technology is certainly available - I doubt they would do it just to help the customer.

My ten cents!

·
Registered
31 Posts
AHH! Just up my alley.
Yes, all fuel station tanks have a computer monitoring system to alert them of all types of problems. But they are only required to have a leak detection/monitor/alert system which is required to be tested and determined working annually. The program is also designed to allow personnel to monitor water in tank, fuel temp, fuel level and a variety of other info. Keep in mind too, that fuel stations have on average multiple 12,000 gallon tanks for gasoline and 6,000 for diesel(size difference because of pumping volume differences) and the turbines in those tanks do not reach to the very bottom, often several inches above it. So, if the monitoring system did see water in the fuel, it still is safegaurded against being pumped.

Find out what type of filter media your preferred station uses: water ABSORBENT or water separating. If you have a worry about your station's fuel cleanliness, the water absorbent media is the last line of defense, but also the best because it clogs with water instead of letting it pass like all other filters. Hope that helped

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Red Fuel,

That is some good info, thank you for sharing it with us.

They also say not to fill up when they are getting a shipment of fuel.(?) I guess because it will shake everything up in the tank.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Red Fuel, very good info. I'll ask that the next time I stop in for a fill up.

Nowake200, that's been a staple of mine for years. See the truck, go on to the next.

cmc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts