Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May have missed it, but didn't see a thread on this yet (just LMM vs. Ferd).

So let's start.

Both a bit of unknown. 6.7 is a real unknown.
But 6.7 can be had with a 6spd manual.
And it can be had with a factory turbo exhaust brake.
But LMM has the Allison. Don't know a thing about the new Dodge auto's.
GMC brakes last a whole lot longer.
Better looking truck too.

I'm kinda debating over the 2 right now...

--Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
dodge autos suck..but cummins with a six speed ain't a bad combo:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
I think it's going to be a real close call when it comes right down to it. The new dodge 6-speed auto is an unknown while the allison is known to be solid. In large part the LMM is just an LBZ with a DPF. The 6.7 shares a lot of its parts with the 5.9 which is known to be a solid reliable performer. Other than the DPF the 6.7 is basically a bored and stroked 5.9. The Dodge has a SFA but it looks like a baboon's a$$. The GM looks alright but it has IFS. Myself I think I'll buy a Dodge this next time because I want a SFA and I like to shift for myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
The 6.7's can't be too complicated (KISS theory). Bully dog already has a 140hp programmer for them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
902 Posts
Grit dog;1596681; said:
The 6.7's can't be too complicated (KISS theory). Bully dog already has a 140hp programmer for them.
that's because it's not a new engine.....cummins had it out for awhile already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I heard the new 6-speed auto will not be available until 08 on regular pickups. It's only available in 07 on the 3500 cab-chassis. No doubt that the cummins 6.7 is a great power plant. There's only one problem.... the motor is surrounded by a Chrysler pickup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
I run Tractors with the [email protected] 160 hp they seem to be a good mid range engine for the Off Road Use. That engine is part of a Joint Venture Between Cummins/ Iveco There is also a big Brother 8.7 in the works which is basically a stroked out 8.3. So far all the engines seem to come from the Cummins side from what i have seen. Iveco Still is making a name in the USA for it self But their 9,10.3,12.9 Engines seem to have Excellent TQ and Hp for the sizes they have
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
You guys need to realize the transmission in the chasis cab truck (Aisin) and the one coming out in the 3/4, 1 ton truck is two different transmissions. From what I've been able to find out the new 6 speed auto in the regular trucks is going to be a hearty transmission. As far as the Aisin goes, been around many many year and is as good if not better than the Allison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
RockRig;1596897; said:
I heard the new 6-speed auto will not be available until 08 on regular pickups. It's only available in 07 on the 3500 cab-chassis. No doubt that the cummins 6.7 is a great power plant. There's only one problem.... the motor is surrounded by a Chrysler pickup.
I also heard this also, the Aisin is available only with the chassis cabs, the 3/4/ 1 ton trucks will be available with a 6 speed auto called 68re Orion if I'm not mistaken.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
nebuniram;1598375; said:
Your right, its gonna blow away the competition. Best motor, 6sp auto tranny, standard exhaust brake. Should be a no brainer
That is if Dodge survives the day. Talks are on going right now about GM buying out Chrysler AG. Here's the "Rest of the Story" http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006488122 ...............SWH...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,688 Posts
If GM buys dodge than maybe we can buy heavy duty dodge trucks with a good ifs 4x4 that holds up like the chevies and still drives nice after 50000 miles. That would be a good truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
kklonghorns;1598673; said:
If GM buys dodge than maybe we can buy heavy duty dodge trucks with a good ifs 4x4 that holds up like the chevies and still drives nice after 50000 miles. That would be a good truck.
UMMM that is chevys down fall. if they buy dodge i hope they can figure out how to use dodge's SFA. so maybe chevy can make a front end worth a damn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
wasn't GM and Chrysler working together to do somethings i think it would be cool to get a solid axle from the factory but i don't think we will see it in the near future
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any word on how good/bad the factory turbo exhaust brake is on the 6.7? Could you do such a thing with the LMM, or is the aftermarket still the best/only route?

I'm curious about the comments comparing the Aison against the Allison. Where can I read up more on this? How much torque and GVW is the Aison built for?

I just wish Dodge was a better looking truck, myself. GM is far better at designing the creature comforts and overall looks.

--Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
kklonghorns;1598673; said:
If GM buys dodge than maybe we can buy heavy duty dodge trucks with a good ifs 4x4 that holds up like the chevies and still drives nice after 50000 miles. That would be a good truck.
The SFA and Cummins are Dodges 2 most redeeming qualities because like I mentioned before the truck itself looks like a baboon's a$$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
861 Posts
rock_shoes;1598986; said:
The SFA and Cummins are Dodges 2 most redeeming qualities because like I mentioned before the truck itself looks like a baboon's a$$.

Personally i think the dodge trucks look 10X better than the chevy's Chevy trucks look like crap. the GMC's look good but the chevys are just ugly. The last great looking truck chevy made was the 02HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,811 Posts
jdugie123;1598723; said:
wasn't GM and Chrysler working together to do somethings i think it would be cool to get a solid axle from the factory but i don't think we will see it in the near future

it would not be the first time GM helped out Chrysler


the Hemi is a gm design and built by GM. GM sold it to Chrysler in the late 60s early 70s to bail chrysler out of debut
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
884 Posts
tmg115;1598989; said:
Personally i think the dodge trucks look 10X better than the chevy's Chevy trucks look like crap. the GMC's look good but the chevys are just ugly. The last great looking truck chevy made was the 02HD
I definitely agree the GMC is way better looking than the new Chevy. I just think the Dodge is too "in your face" for my taste. One thing I haven't seen mentioned about the Dodge that I do really like is the beltline of the truck. In the winter a truck will collect a lot of road grime quickly and the new dodge is at just the right height most of the road spray misses the side windows. I know in my old chevy the side windows become obscured much more quickly. I can't see the new GM/Chev being any different that way because they don't really sit any higher.
 
1 - 20 of 485 Posts
Top